Ability to "ban" an IP address from specific torrents?

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
DracheMitch

Ability to "ban" an IP address from specific torrents?

Post by DracheMitch »

I am using 1.51+ (8079) Mac and was wondering if a feature similar to what is in Azureus could be implemented where for a specific torrent you could ban an IP address from connecting while downloading or seeding that Torrent.
essiw

Re: Ability to "ban" an IP address from specific torrents?

Post by essiw »

already been requested many times and I thought it was denied (not sure though). Why would you do this? If it is about ISP or bad peers, there is a black list and a ignore uncoded peers (or something like that)
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

From http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Blocklists:
In that directory, files ending in ".bin" are the bluetack files that Transmission has parsed into a binary format suitable for quick lookups. When transmission starts, it scans this directory for files not ending in ".bin" and tries to parse them. So to add another blocklist, all you have to do is put it in this directory and restart Transmission.
Hat

Post by Hat »

Well, it's even a pain to add IPs to a list of your own, manually, because A) you can't right click and copy them from the Inspector, and B) the Inspector doesn't stay open while using another application (such as TextEdit). It would be very useful if this was built in.

Why use this feature? If you've maxed out your connections for a torrent, and half of them are peers that aren't transferring anything, it's best to remove them to free up slots for other peers that can transfer something.
ddalley

Post by ddalley »

Another reason to remove/block some peers is to get rid of selfish peers who have somehow blocked uploading to us, using Vuze and uTorrent!

I am working on a 7Gb file and have only downloaded a few hundred Mgs of data, while 200% has already been uploaded. I have set to only use encrypted peers. There are plenty peers listed, but nearly every single one of them are blocking uploads and only sucking up my bandwidth while giving nothing back! Only a couple are being fair about the process.

These creeps are eating up my meager bandwidth and I can't control them! It will take months of on-off downloading to get this large file, at this rate, too.