uTorrent-resume.dat-equivalent for Transmission (to edit)

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
APOCALYPTICA

uTorrent-resume.dat-equivalent for Transmission (to edit)

Post by APOCALYPTICA »

it was while ago since writing a little Java program to load all my torrents the "back-end" way, as i liked to call it, by editing resume.dat. it saved me from the tedium of editing each torrent's directory-path upon loading it. it was really cool and i enjoyed coding it. but now that i've learned to actually BACKUP my data, me and the program ended up being a one-night stand. motivated by that project, i even wrote another that would "clean out" my torrent folders based on the corresponding torrent file, who shared the same name as the directory holding the files it belonged to. it deleted any files and folders that weren't represented in each torrent file.

...so i want to see if i can code a program that will do the same for transmission. automatically loading torrents, that is. as i've explained, i have hundreds ^^
Rolcol

Re: uTorrent-resume.dat-equivalent for Transmission (to edit)

Post by Rolcol »

You can disable this prompt. It's in the preferences. From your other post, it sounds like you are using the GTK+ client and I can't get a screenshot of that right now.

APOCALYPTICA

Post by APOCALYPTICA »

bro i don't want to do it that way. i want to edit the state of transmission. utorrent stores its state in those .dat files, the most important of which is resume.dat, which stores all information about the pre-loaded torrents. torrents don't disappear from utorrent when you restart it, do they? well the same is true for transmission. i just want to edit that stuff. if transmission doesn't encode its state in characters, but rather pure binary, then i can't do anything because i'm not going to spend the time decoding freaking binary.

just take a look at the resume.dat. it's bencoded, just like the torrent file.
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

I think Transmission's files are bencoded as well. Transmission stores its resume files in ~/.config/transmission/resume and torrents in ~/.config/transmission/torrents. You could write a script/program to decode uTorrents data and format it into Transmission's format. Transmission wouldn't immediately add the torrents as they appear in its resume or torrents folder though. You can look at Transmission's source code to see how it handles the resume files.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Here's the code Rolcol referred to: http://trac.transmissionbt.com/browser/ ... n/resume.c
APOCALYPTICA

Post by APOCALYPTICA »

thanks for the link. the resume file doesn't have the directory names in it anyway.