Can't open ports or listen... i know... :(

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
hulahoophugs

Can't open ports or listen... i know... :(

Post by hulahoophugs »

I really feel like i've tried everything. I followed the Help in Transmission. Here's what I've done so far. I'm on an iMac running 10.6 on DSL with an Airport Express router.

1. Tried portforwarding with instructions from portforward.com.. Opened airport admin utility, port maping, added a new one, entered my IP address that i got from terminal (ifconfig) and entered 51413 into Public UDP ports, which after updating changed to 548 in public TCP ports. also, after changing the router to bridge mode my IP address has changed.
2. Enabled NAT Port Mapping Protocol
3. Changed Airport to Bridge Mode. (the help file told me to do this if i had a dsl modem... but now i no longer see the nat port mapping option.
4. Now i've tried getting out of Bridge Mode and it's telling me to correct 2 problems before updating which are "DHCP Beginning Address" and "DHCP Ending Address." I guess the ranges conflict?

Anyway, Transmission Help told me to post my error (by opening message log and toggling auto map port) and post that into the message board for help but nothing was outputted... So this is what I have.

Thank you so so so so much in advance.
Weaselboy

Re: Can't open ports or listen... i know... :(

Post by Weaselboy »

If you are using an Airport router and OS X, just reset your router to a default configuration and make sure the firewall is off in OS X Security pref pane. Then go to the Transmission prefs and under the Network tab check off "Automaticlly map port."

This will allow Transmission to use Upnp to open a port in your router on its own. Should work with this setup.
hulahoophugs

Post by hulahoophugs »

I just restored it to factory settings, have Auto Map Port checked and it's still closed. Could this be because I'm on DSL? Should I switch it back to bridge? I feel like it has to be more than just restoring it to factory settings.
Thanks for replying!
hulahoophugs

Post by hulahoophugs »

I just hooked up an old linksys wrt54G because it's much easier to port forward with that BUT I STILL CANT GET THESE PORTS OPEN.

i got my ip address by opening terminal, entering ifconfig and taking the number they gave me next to inet

then i went into the router settings, gaming/applications and opened ports 51412-51514 because when i hit auto map in transmission the number that always pops up is 51413. PORT IS STILL CLOSED!

Am i stupid?
Weaselboy

Post by Weaselboy »

No need for bridge mode. That won't fix anything.

Did you confirm the software firewall if off in OS X?
hulahoophugs

Post by hulahoophugs »

yes, i just double checked. no firewall. unless there's another place i should be looking.... i checked under the security pref pane.
I also just tried opening ports on my actual dsl modem (because i read that with DSL you need to port forward on the modem AND the router) and that STILL hasn't worked.
This is truly frustrating...
essiw

Post by essiw »

try the links in my sig ;)
hulahoophugs

Post by hulahoophugs »

x190 wrote:Take a look at this thread:

http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... f=4&t=8888

Also, to get your internal IP address, try using the OS X 'Network Preferencepane'. Look under 'Built-in Ethernet' and 'TCP/IP'. On my DSL gateway, which is a combination modem/router that info is automatically entered via DHCP. When portforwarding manually, turn off UPnP and DMZ.

According to T's 'Help' files you have a choice with 'Airport' to use 'Bridge Mode' or to manually portforward. Since you've already tried 'Bridge Mode' without success, I'd suggest doing the manual thing and that's where the above linked forum thread might help. Be consistent with port numbers throughout the process.

So to re-cap, manually portforward your DSL router with UPnP and DMZ off (and Firewall set to Low, if it has this setting), do the same with Airport, allow Transmission in your internal OS X firewall, and cross your fingers. :)

Finally, never give up (see my signature).
Okay so now i'm at my dad's who has cable. I have my airport plugged into a buffalo router. when i wirelessly connect to the buffalo, the ports are open! but that's not really an option as i want to use airtunes. So i have my Airport Express plugged into the router via ethernet and i connect to airport wirelessly. As soon as i connect to airport, the port is closed again! so now i KNOW it's airport and not the ISP. but i tried the port forwarding method you gave me from the forum and it's not working but when i try it won't let me enter my IP address. it only gives me the option of 10.0.1.XXX but my ip starts with 192! SO WHAT'S GOING ON???

so frustrating :(
hulahoophugs

Post by hulahoophugs »

so i realized my ip address actually does start with 10.0.... so i entered it in and still nothing...

It's amazing how easy the Airport Express is to set up but how hard it is to customize. If you want to just go on the internet and stream airtunes it's the easiest thing in the world. port forwarding... not so much.
hulahoophugs

Post by hulahoophugs »

Success!!!
SO the issue was DSL. I tried portforwarding on the modem and my router with no luck. I believe the ISP was just blocking those ports. But at my dad's the ports are open on his router but when I connected to the Airport (which is plugged into his router) the ports were closed.
So i tried bridge mode and voila! Ports are OPEN!

Thanks so much for everyone's help!