Please help on the Transmission Hard disk issue

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
cstc1

Please help on the Transmission Hard disk issue

Post by cstc1 »

I'm trying to use my little poor old MAC mini as a BT download machine, I'm using Transmission Mac version latest update and Leopard.

And the storage solution is like this:
My poor mac mini stores all my old photos and the remaining harddisk is only around 200-300MB, so I'm using another1.5T hard disk connected in my WDTV Live. Mac mini can access this storage via local 100MB network.

The thing is when I try to download any BT resources and set the download destination to the network drive, Transmission creates the file on my network drive, no problem, but at the same time, it also consumes my storage on Mac mini locally, which leads to the storage outage on my Mac mini soon and the download will be paused and saying "unregistered torrent" on the web interface.

My question is, is there any setting that can prevent Transmission eating up the local storage but using the same storage as download destination on network for buffering, caching or whatever.

Please do help, I like Transmission's web interface and won't move to other BT client if this issue is resolved.

Thanks,
Gary
rb07

Re: Please help on the Transmission Hard disk issue

Post by rb07 »

cstc1 wrote:I'm trying to use my little poor old MAC mini as a BT download machine, I'm using Transmission Mac version latest update and Leopard.
The application? i.e. not transmission-daemon.

You should try the daemon, AFAIK it doesn't use any other storage than the one you set as download.
And the storage solution is like this:
My poor mac mini stores all my old photos and the remaining harddisk is only around 200-300MB, so I'm using another1.5T hard disk connected in my WDTV Live. Mac mini can access this storage via local 100MB network.
NFS I presume? and the disk is FAT32 or NTFS?

Wow, you are brave! That's quite a setting, I like fearless people :wink:
[snip]
cstc1

Post by cstc1 »

Hi,

I just use normal transmission, any other version I can get?

The harddisk is in NTFS format, however, as it is connected via network, the file format should be isolated. I'm not using NFS to mount that on MAC
cstc1

Post by cstc1 »

I checked some threads, and it seems need to set the "keep in complete file in:" in options. but the thing is I can't even find this option under 1.8b4 mac version, is this option moved? or I missed sth else?

Please do help.
Rook

Post by Rook »

Not sure if it would be too late for you, but the setting is under:
Transmission (menu) -> Preferences... -> Transfers -> Adding (tab) , under Settings

Best of luck,

--Rook