OpenSolaris, building transmission 2.0 from tarball

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
speeedy

OpenSolaris, building transmission 2.0 from tarball

Post by speeedy »

Hi,

I have some problems with the build, when I type ./configure -q && make -s I'm getting "configure: error: libevent not found!"

I have installed libevent via pkg but it does not seem to help.

Any suggestions ?
asgard

Re: OpenSolaris, building transmission 2.0 from tarball

Post by asgard »

Having the same issue on ubuntu. It seems like libevent source is no longer packaged with Transmission, v1.93 still have it. :cry:
rb07

Post by rb07 »

You may have to add

Code: Select all

LIBEVENT_LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -levent"
and any other required libraries (-lrt perhaps) to your configure line (the path may be wrong depending on what package you installed, Sunfreeware installs in /usr/local that's why I put that).

asgard: It was on the release announcement or one for a previous (maybe beta) version, libevent is no longer included, you have to install it.
asgard

Post by asgard »

Thanks rb07, I already resolved the problem before I saw your reply.
rafaelbfs

Post by rafaelbfs »

asgard, I'm having the same problem, how did you solve it?
I've built from source and installed libevent 1.4.11 but transmission configure-script still doesn't find it.
rafaelbfs

Post by rafaelbfs »

rb07 wrote:You may have to add

LIBEVENT_LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -levent"
and any other required libraries (-lrt perhaps) to your configure line (the path may be wrong depending on what package you installed, Sunfreeware installs in /usr/local that's why I put that).
Actually, I'm trying to build on OpenSolaris snv 134, not Ubuntu. libevent's libraries are located in /usr/local/lib as you said. I've built and installed latest satble release of libevent.
In:
"-L/usr/local/lib -levent"
Did you mean -libevent instead of -levent?
What does this -L in the begining of the string means? (Sorry I don't know much of configure.ac shell scripts) :|

TIA
Rafael
rb07

Post by rb07 »

rafaelbfs wrote:Actually, I'm trying to build on OpenSolaris snv 134, not Ubuntu. libevent's libraries are located in /usr/local/lib as you said. I've built and installed latest satble release of libevent.
In:
"-L/usr/local/lib -levent"
Did you mean -libevent instead of -levent?
No.
What does this -L in the begining of the string means? (Sorry I don't know much of configure.ac shell scripts)
The -L tells the linker where to look for the following libraries. The -l tells it the name minus the lib and the extension, i.e. -levent means look for any of the following: libevent.a, libevent.so (actually the order is the reverse, the dynamic library by default is used first).

That just made think of something that may be missing: if the dynamic library is used, and /usr/local/lib is not in the default library search path, then the executable will not find it... you will need something like:

LIBEVENT_LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib -levent -lrt
Here the -R means store the path to the library in the executable. I also added the 'rt' library which I think is a dependency of libevent; you can be sure that nothing is missing if you ask the executable:

ldd transmission-daemon
The result will show you the long list of dynamic libraries it pulls (unless you made a static linked executable, which is not the default).

In Solaris there is another way, you can define the system library search path using the command crle. Most open source packages will tell you, when you run 'make install' that some library was installed and you may need to adjust... that doesn't really apply to Solaris, it works, but the correct way is to use crle.
rafaelbfs

Post by rafaelbfs »

Thanks for the help :D

I've tried to redefine libpaths with crle command and it did included /usr/local/lib. But even so the AC_LIB_CHECK macro (maybe the libpath is hardcoded in it?)complained about it, manually adding it to the path didn't solve either. So I symlinked to libevent and rt from /usr/lib which was in libpath.

This way Transmission was successfully built but it won't compile gtk+ client because Solaris' version of GTK is too old, but that is another story (and I'm afraid it will be longer :) ).

Sorry not answering sooner, I haven't been working with Solaris lately.