Rename file?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
edalzell

Rename file?

Post by edalzell »

I have downloaded a file that I need to rename but keep seeding it, can this be done in Transmission?
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: Rename file?

Post by livings124 »

You'll have to copy the data.
edalzell

Post by edalzell »

Please consider this a feature request then.
essiw

Post by essiw »

edalzell wrote:Please consider this a feature request then.
it is a request that can't be implented. the names of the files are within the .torrent file if you change it it will simply not see that it is the same file
edalzell

Post by edalzell »

uTorrent does it, so I believe it is possible.
beremour

Post by beremour »

+100 !
Also need this feature very much!
I can create "alias" (symlink) named exactly as in torrent file, but transmission doesnt consider the file is fully downloaded
mrbofus

Post by mrbofus »

Another vote for this feature request please! uTorrent does indeed allow you to rename the file when you open the .torrent file, which is very convenient. However, since I download most things using Transmission on my Mac, having this feature in Transmission would be great!
Almarma

Post by Almarma »

I also vote for this feature. It's extremely useful because some torrents have totally ugly names and much people like to keep it's downloads folders organized. Allowing to rename the torrents should be a must have in my opinion.

Thank you very much!
emilycurious

Post by emilycurious »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by emilycurious on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterLL

Post by PeterLL »

You've got my vote for this feature, not a high priority for me though, but indeed usefull occasionally.

Peter
linus

Post by linus »

essiw wrote:
edalzell wrote:Please consider this a feature request then.
it is a request that can't be implented. the names of the files are within the .torrent file if you change it it will simply not see that it is the same file
As said, this is already in µTorrent. File names are not affecting the data/file hash.

All we should need is telling Transmission which files on the local machine equals files from the torrent.
Imagine opening the Torrent inspector and the Files tab. Mark "file.with.a.boring.file.name.zip" and choose Relocate, select "Same file nicely renamed.zip" and Transmission knows where to seed from.

This is my high priority feature wish.
I'll be using µTorrent until this is implemented.
minnepinne

Post by minnepinne »

I will also vote for this feature.
Renaming folders in torrents is important to me when they need a specific name to go smoothly with XBMC's infrastructure.
Vuze has this nice renaming feature where you have the option to rename Displayed Name, Save Path or Torrent. Im making the jump from Vuze with all its advanced features to a more light-weight Transmission. This renaming feature is now the only thing missing.

I hope this will be fixed in future revisions of Transmission.
Thanks
P0RN5T4R

Post by P0RN5T4R »

It would be awesome to be able to relocate/rename files and folders like uTorrent does :)

I use transmission in my Mac and NAS and really wanted this :|
cactus

Post by cactus »

I also vote for this feature :)
fletchni

Post by fletchni »

I once (I guess around a year ago) submitted a formal change request for this. But was turned down and told that it is not a priority or even a consideration (I think).

Maybe if more people push for this, it might happen… but I'm not sure if the Forum is the right place (i.e. if the development team read here that much). There is a formal support system for bugs and suggestions: https://trac.transmissionbt.com/