Regarding Encryption....

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
digitlman

Regarding Encryption....

Post by digitlman »

I haveTransmission set to ignore unencrypted peers.

If I have Transmission set to encryption, as well as setting the incoming port to port 21, will that ensure that the network cannot be ID'd as torrent traffic, and also ensure that no DPI can glean the file names or type of payload in the traffic?
Rolcol

Re: Regarding Encryption....

Post by Rolcol »

It's still possible to "guess" that the user is running bittorrent by the way the packets are moving.
JohnnyC35

Post by JohnnyC35 »

I would like to know how to set up encryption as well. The encryption offered by transmission and deluge apparently aren't enough to thwart torrent blocking. Maybe the next version of either will offer RC4 strength encryption like Vuze
Level 5

Note: This is level is available from Azureus 3.0.2.3_B05 onwards.

Level 5 is only intended for people who have problems with a specific traffic shaping method employed by sandvine traffic shaping hardware, see Bad ISPs to discover if this applies to you. The premise of this method is to minimize the amount of unencrypted information leaked. To enable it select following settings:

1. Tools -> Options -> Connection -> Transport Encryption (See here)
* Enable require encryption
* Select RC4
* Disable both fallback checkboxes
2. Tools -> Options -> Tracker -> Client
* Enable Do not announce the listening port to the tracker
* Set the peer limit to a low figure, start with 1 or 2
* set the Minimum time between tracker announces to 900 for example
3. Adjust DHT settings (2 mutually exclusive alternatives):
* Disable the DHT:

Go to Tools -> Options -> Plugins -> Distributed DB and uncheck Enable the distributed database

* Try to get more peers via DHT:

Go to Tools -> Options -> Plugins -> Distributed Tracker and uncheck Only track normal torrents[...]

4. Try to seed a torrent you haven't seeded within the last few hours or so before applying these settings
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

It is not that they are breaking the encryption but detecting the behavior of the protocol, the only way past that is for a full tunnel out of your ISP to a proxy before making the connection, and that gets slow really fast.

Bittorrent does some specific things, such as going to a tracker, which can be easily detected or built into a blacklist. Also DHT for P2P has to send out at least the first part of its handshake a specific way.. This can also be detected.

It really depends how good the ISP Deep packet detection is.
JohnnyC35

Post by JohnnyC35 »

the only way past that is for a full tunnel out of your ISP to a proxy before making the connection, and that gets slow really fast.
so does Vuze use either of those via the RC4? I get slow speeds not using it but once it is enabled and I reset mdm/router the speeds are back up? I just figured if one program is able to battle sandvine then others should be able to
JohnnyC35

Post by JohnnyC35 »

was able to fix my issue of sandvine and bloaty Vuze by using Lince.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

JohnnyC35 wrote:I would like to know how to set up encryption as well. The encryption offered by transmission and deluge apparently aren't enough to thwart torrent blocking. Maybe the next version of either will offer RC4 strength encryption like Vuze
You certainly have been busy making this claim -- here, and in the Vuze forums, and in the Linux Mint forums.

To clarify a misconception -- Deluge and Transmission both have RC4 based encryption, same as Vuze. The encryption spec for BitTorrent is well-defined and implemented by all the major players.

In fact, the Lince application you're advocating uses the same bittorrent engine as Deluge, whose encryption you complained about in your Mint post.