unchoked peer but not interested

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
Nihon

unchoked peer but not interested

Post by Nihon »

I just switched to Transmission from Lamewire. I have successfully downloaded a few torrents but the remaining ones that I have seem to be stuck.

I live in the middle of nowhere, way, way up north. Internet up here is somewhat slow and unreliable. When I first started using Transmission, I changed a bunch of the settings so that uploads would not slow down my already painfully slow downloads. Now, I don't seem to be able to download anything. I have some peers showing up but when I see their info, it says "You unchoked the peer, but the peer is not interested."

I have changed the settings back to allow uploads and seeding with no limits but that doesn't seem to allow me to access these peers. I realize now that blocking seeding was probably taboo and this might be a result of my previous settings.

Short of installing a program to change/block my ip address, how can I finish downloading the files that I have started?
Nihon

Re: unchoked peer but not interested

Post by Nihon »

I guess waiting for a generous person to come along is out of my control. How can I fiddle with connections, bandwith and restarts? What I am trying to get isn't very common and there are very few peers who have it in the first place. It's been months since I have stumbled on a generous peer but I routinely see 3-4 peers who all say they are uninterested (I assume there is no way to contact a specific peer to have them open up a connection).
Longinus00

Post by Longinus00 »

"You unchoked the peer, but the peer is not interested" means that you offered to upload to the other computer but they didn't want to download from you. It has nothing, directly anyway, to do with your downloading.
drayon

Post by drayon »

x190 wrote: Sometimes a restart will snag a better set of peers. In the end, you make your settings and then wait.
In what context and situation do you use 'restart'? Pause and resume a torrent?, Pause, Remove, re-open and restart a torrent? Stop all torrents, quit Transmission and relaunch? Or restart the router?