Delete folders as well as files upon "delete data"

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
frewys

Delete folders as well as files upon "delete data"

Post by frewys »

It is kinda annoying if u have many torrents with folders and you delete data but still find the folder in the directory. Why would I wanna keep the folder. Im sorry if this is a stupid question but Im from PC and utorrent deletes folder and files. To me that is what should happen when delete data?

I might miss an option but I don't think so and I did search for this topic but found non.

Kind regards
frewys
frewys

Re: Delete folders as well as files upon "delete data"

Post by frewys »

I guess that is just the way things are?

Also I was wondering if it is possible to OPEN the filer directly when clicked on instead of going to folder. That would be great if i double click in the man window to go folder for instance. But when I click files torrent inspector I would like to open the file instead of going to folder. Is this possible?

Since none responded I think maybe this should be in request?

Kind regards
Frewys
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

when i tell transmission to delete the data, it does delete the folder where appropriate, not sure why you're having that problem.

opening files directly from transmission has been declared a no-no by the powers that be, because of the possibility of another app changing the torrent's data, so it won't appear in an official version of transmission. i made a patch for my own use that let you open files, but i need to update it for newer versions, will post it again as & when i do.
frewys

Post by frewys »

Thanks for the reply!

Didn't know my question was answered. Didn't get a mail about it. Need to check my settings for that I guess :)

It WAS an issue on my side. Since my posting I upgraded transmission and now it deletes the folder to!!

That is strange that utorrent handles the direct opening of files without any issue. Is that strictly a mac thing the "change of torrents data"? Never heard or seen an issue with that over the years on my PC. That seems strange.

It is a shame it is bound to finder. I use path finder and transmission wont even open finder unless it is running.

Kind regards
Frewys
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

no it's not just a mac thing. all it is is, if you download a file in transmission, and then keep it seeding, and you open that file with an application (text editor or whatever), you could theoretically change the contents and resave it, at which point there'd be a discrepancy between the altered data transmission has access to on the disk, and the expected content of the seeded torrent.

hopefully if you were paying attention you just wouldn't alter the file, i'm constantly using files that are still being seeded by transmission and never bring this problem on myself, but the devs have decided that as a safety net you're not allowed to open files from within transmission. shame.

glad you got your other problem sorted :)
frewys

Post by frewys »

Actually no. It hasn't been addressed. It is really strange. But as far as I can tell if you have been looking in the folder at some time it will NOT be deleted. I guess maybe pathfinder or maybe finder is locking it up somehow and wont release it. I had the same issue with utorrent ONLY when I added a file (like a text) or extracted the rars to that folder. So that is quite annoying.. i feel like I need to supervise all the time that the folder is deleted. So basically I stooped doing that and deleted by dragging the folder to trash from finder (another thing mac loves!! ;) )

Doesn't the utorrent use similar technology to like MD5 to verify that the file(s) is in fact unaltered in order to avoid this very dilemma? that is just a hypotheses but it never failed anyway.

Kind regards
Frewys
Weevil

Post by Weevil »

This random non-folder-deleting is the most irritating thing about Transmission! Which is a good thing, since it doesn't bother me enough to even think of getting another torrentclient :) Still it can be rather confusing and slightly annoying at times, a solution or workaround would be pleasant.
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

frewys wrote:Actually no. It hasn't been addressed. It is really strange. But as far as I can tell if you have been looking in the folder at some time it will NOT be deleted. I guess maybe pathfinder or maybe finder is locking it up somehow and wont release it. I had the same issue with utorrent ONLY when I added a file (like a text) or extracted the rars to that folder. So that is quite annoying.. i feel like I need to supervise all the time that the folder is deleted. So basically I stooped doing that and deleted by dragging the folder to trash from finder (another thing mac loves!! ;) )
My only guess is that it for some reason doesn't consider the folder to be empty, hence not deleting it.
Doesn't the utorrent use similar technology to like MD5 to verify that the file(s) is in fact unaltered in order to avoid this very dilemma? that is just a hypotheses but it never failed anyway.
Yes it does, but it only checks the data when receiving pieces, not when sending them. Or when you tell it to verify the data.
frewys

Post by frewys »

Weevil wrote:This random non-folder-deleting is the most irritating thing about Transmission! Which is a good thing, since it doesn't bother me enough to even think of getting another torrentclient :) Still it can be rather confusing and slightly annoying at times, a solution or workaround would be pleasant.
Well THATS nice. Now I know Im not alone in this annoyance! Thank you Weevil:)
I use Path Finder to. Could it be something with that? And could you make path finder the default for opening in Transmission?
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

On OS X, Finder creates hidden files named .DS_Store. These files contain information about the file navigator's size, how the files are displayed, and anything else Finder may need to know. When Transmission deletes the data, it only deletes data that belongs to a torrent. Say you download a multi-part .rar file. Transmission won't delete the extracted data but it will get rid of the .r## files.

I think Transmission just needs a small database of system files that are ok to remove. (.DS_Store, ._.Resource Forks, thumbs.db, desktop.ini, etc)
frewys

Post by frewys »

that explains a lot! thanks for the headsup:)
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

x190: I don't think Finder locks anything it's displaying.
albagali

Post by albagali »

Hi guy's
i am new in the club but am using transmission two years all going very good, but today i try to stop my select torrent i press remove selected
how to bring my select torrent Please ASAP
Weevil

Post by Weevil »

@albagali
Welcome to the club, maybe you should make a new thread instead of trying to hijack this one. Please ASAP.

I can confirm the problem sometimes also occurs when moving a torrent. Next time this occurs I'll check if hidden files are still present and report back, right now I cannot reproduce the 'phenomenon', neither with folder open, closed or not in finderwindow at all.
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

Can confirm that it happens fairly often on my Gentoo install, no hidden files.