[SOLVED] New utils (edit, show & create) how? where?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
papibe

[SOLVED] New utils (edit, show & create) how? where?

Post by papibe »

EDIT: this has been solved by upgrading to 2.13 from ppa (available since this morning). See last post.

I just installed transmission-daemon 2.10 in Ubuntu from ppa:transmissionbt/ppa. The release notes mention new command-line tools:
Utils
* New command-line utility "transmission-edit" for editing torrent files
* New command-line utility "transmission-show" for viewing torrent files
* New command-line utility "transmission-create" for creating torrent files
These very promising utilities where not installed using the ppa. Anybody know how to get, install and use them?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by papibe on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunzip

Re: New utils (edit, show & create) how? where?

Post by gunzip »

if you compile from the transmission-2.10 source you will get all those utilities.

http://www.transmissionbt.com/download.php

in fact they have been in the linux nightlies for some time now.

Code: Select all

$ transmission-create -h
Usage: transmission-create [options] <file|directory>

Options:
 -h --help              Display this help page and exit
 -p --private           Allow this torrent to only be used with the specified
                        tracker(s)
 -o --outfile <file>    Save the generated .torrent to this filename
 -c --comment <comment> Add a comment
 -t --tracker <url>     Add a tracker's announce URL
 -V --version           Show version number and exit

$ transmission-edit -h
Usage: transmission-edit [options] torrent-file(s)

Options:
 -h --help                Display this help page and exit
 -a --add     <url>       Add a tracker's announce URL
 -d --delete  <url>       Delete a tracker's announce URL
 -r --replace <old> <new> Search and replace a substring in the announce URLs
 -V --version             Show version number and exit

$ transmission-show -h
Usage: transmission-show [options] <.torrent file>

Options:
 -h --help     Display this help page and exit
 -s --scrape   Ask the torrent's trackers how many peers are in the torrent's
               swarm
 -V --version  Show version number and exit
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

It looks like the utils are not in any of those packages. If you want to compile it, here are the steps:
  • Install svn to grab the code from the repository, and compile utilities:

sudo apt-get install subversion build-essential
  • Now install the source for the dependencies:

sudo apt-get build-dep transmission-gtk
  • Download the Transmission source (this will download it to ~/Desktop/transmission/):

svn co svn://svn.transmissionbt.com/Transmission/tags/2.10 ~/Desktop/transmission/
  • Now we compile.

cd ~/Desktop/transmission
    ./autogen.sh
    make -j3
  • If you decide to install it, it will be installed to /usr/share/bin/ by default and it will probably conflict with the ppa packages:

sudo make install
papibe

Post by papibe »

Thanks both for your replies.

@Rolcol, I guess is the same procedure when you compile transmission-daemon instead of transmission-gtk?

Regards.
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

papibe wrote:Thanks both for your replies.

@Rolcol, I guess is the same procedure when you compile transmission-daemon instead of transmission-gtk?

Regards.
It would still work if you did exactly as I typed but changing to "build-dep transmission-daemon" may only install dependencies for the daemon.
thuerrsch

Post by thuerrsch »

I'd also like to use the new utilites, however I try to avoid compiling anything as much as possible on my machines. I'm not a real programmer, and compiler output usually makes my feel old and stupid. When anything goes wrong, I just don't have the expertise to fix it, and most of the time something will go wrong. Therefore I'd much prefer transmission-create etc. to be included in the standard packages, which means in my case, as in papibe's, those from ppa:transmissionbt/ppa.

I guess it would be best to ask Andreas Noteng, the guy who does the transmission builds for the ppa, directly if a) there are any reasons why the new utils aren't included by default and b) if not, to make them available in future builds, maybe as a separate package. So I've looked for a way to contactthe transmissionbt team on Launchpad, but there's no contact e-mail.

Do you guys have any ideas how to notify the Ubuntu maintainers of this issue? Would it make sense to file a bug report in Launchpad, or on the Transmission tracker? What do you think?
kklimonda

Post by kklimonda »

Let me write a small summary of the current situation of new Transmission release (and missing tools) in Ubuntu PPA (and Debian as it's connected).

Two months ago Debian release team have decided to freeze their testing distribution in order to prepare it for a stable release. What that means is that the focus of Debian Developers have switched their focus from packaging new version of software to hammering all "Release Critical" bugs. Because of that Transmission in both testing and unstable is going to stay at the 2.03 version for the unspecified amount of time (probably few months). We, at Ubuntu, has just released 10.10 release and are preparing for the upcoming UDS.

What that means is that currently both Ubuntu and Debian maintainers are pretty busy and, because the addition of new tools should be discussed between both distributions -- to ensure that we don't end up with two incompatible packaging schemes -- it is taking some time. The 2.10 release time was a little unfortunate and while we, and I, in particular, could have done more to prepare for the release beforehand -- I've known about new tools for some time -- now we can only try to catch up as fast as possible.

I'm not going to promise anything, as the next two weeks are going to be a little harsh to me, but I'll try to prepare a new packaging before the 24th, which is the day I fly to Orlando for the UDS.
papibe

Post by papibe »

Let me write a small summary of the current situation...
I really, and I mean REALLY, appreciate you taking the time to tell us all that. Things like this, at least to me, shows care for the community, and produces trust on the various teams working together.

Best Regards.
papibe

Post by papibe »

@Rolcol

sudo apt-get build-dep transmission-daemon
gives me: Picking 'transmission' as source package instead of 'transmission-daemon'. That includes all X11 and GTK dependencies that I don't need (I'm running Ubuntu Server).

Is there a way to skip all "graphic" dependencies?

Thanks in advance.
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

papibe wrote:@Rolcol

sudo apt-get build-dep transmission-daemon
gives me: Picking 'transmission' as source package instead of 'transmission-daemon'. That includes all X11 and GTK dependencies that I don't need (I'm running Ubuntu Server).

Is there a way to skip all "graphic" dependencies?

Thanks in advance.
If you try "transmission-cli" does it also switch to including the GTK dependencies?
papibe

Post by papibe »

yes, same behavior:

Picking 'transmission' as source package instead of 'transmission-cli
papibe

Post by papibe »

It is worst than I thought:

$ transmission-cli --new source/ -a http://tracker.tracker.example.com/announce my.torrent
ERROR: Unrecognized torrent "--new".
 * If you're trying to create a torrent, use transmission-create.
 * If you're trying to see a torrent's info, use transmission-show.
Not only the new tools are not available on the ppa, but also the functionality to create torrents has been eliminated from transmission-cli.

Please help!
gunzip

Post by gunzip »

if you don't want to compile from source, and you can't wait for the new ppa try this..

apt-get install ctorrent
ctorrent is lightweight client written in the C++ language and doesn't require any graphical component, such as an X server.
Create a torrent:

ctorrent -t -u "http://tracker.example.com:6969/announce" -s "example.torrent" "file_or_dir_source"
i wouldn't recommend using ctorrent for downloading (it has almost no features), but in a pinch you can make torrent files with it.
Longinus00

Post by Longinus00 »

I would recommend buildtorrent if you just want a program for making torrent files.
papibe

Post by papibe »

Thanks!
Both ctorrent and buildtorrent work pretty well.

Any idea how to compile daemon/remote/cli without the x11 and gtk dependencies?

Regards.