Transmission killing my internet.

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
organik

Transmission killing my internet.

Post by organik »

For whatever reason, with Transmission running my internet will stall out and die. My isp is RoadRunner. I'm on the current version of Snow Leopard.
Tried current Transmission, and current beta and same behavior. Happens particularly fast with many fast torrents downloading, but also happens with only a couple slow ones...eventually. Trying uTorrent right now and it seems to be OK, so this seems to be a Transmission problem.

Anyone?
jch

Re: Transmission killing my internet.

Post by jch »

organik wrote:with Transmission running my internet will stall out and die [...] Happens particularly fast with many fast torrents downloading
Either reduce the number of torrents you're downloading at a time, or buy a better router. Reflashing your current router with a recent version of OpenWRT might also help.
Trying uTorrent right now and it seems to be OK
µTorrent uses a "queue" to limit the number of torrents that are being downloaded at a time. (I'm being told that Transmission will be doing that in a future version, but please don't quote me on that.)
also happens with only a couple slow ones...eventually
Hmm... that shouldn't happen, unless your router is very poor. Does disabling the DHT (globally, not in the per-torrent settings) work around this?

--jch
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

Set the max upload and download limit to 75% your REAL internet bandwidth.

go do a speed test at www.speedtest.net with transmission closed...
It will give you numbers in Mbits/second.

Transmission used Kibytes/s so you will need to convert the values.

This should limit how much of your connection Transmission uses.

If you have messed with the default number of connections allowed this can also cause cheaper routers to have problems.
organik

Post by organik »

This is happening with or WITHOUT a router, just direct cable modem to computer. It also happens with connections lowered and fairly restrictive bandwidth caps (at 40% of my real bandwidth). Also, with uTorrent I have raised my # simultaneous connections and have NO bandwidth caps, and this is my fourth day without the problem. I would love to return to Transmission however as it's overall a better client, but if I have to reset my connection several times a day it's just not worth it.
perko123

Post by perko123 »

I think this is because transmission has no setting or does it for half-open connections. Most of the times when my connection gets killed is when I have torrents with a lot of seeds/peers (>1000). If i open the torrent in utorrent or any other torrent clent where i set my half-open connections or in azureus it is "Max simultaneous connections attempts" to 80, the torrents work fine with full speed and I have no problems oppening web pages. I am using Transmission on my Synology NAS.
organik

Post by organik »

UPDATE: I was able to kill my connection with uTorrent also, but only with max connections set very high (2000)....and 12+ fast downloads happening. Is it possible the Transmission isn't respecting the max connections setting on my machine? It will cause my connection to die with 400 connections set and only a few torrents downloading (well below my available bandwidth also).
nicknick

Post by nicknick »

I too have the same problem since updating to 2.11. At least a few times a day I have to reset the connection.
Strangely enough transmission, looks like its still uploading/downloading as I see numbers in the top right of the transmission window.
But no other web, email work. This is even when I use the turtle to limit the connection.
I have set my limit to 75% of actual measured bandwith to no avail.
ceolwulf

Post by ceolwulf »

I'm having the same issue.
  • Mac OS X 10.6.6
  • Transmission 2.20
  • Linksys WRT54G2 v1.5 with newest firmware
As soon as Transmission opens, Little Snitch shows a ton of connections for nmblookup and mDNSResponder.

Try something like this and see if it helps: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7312
sixfeetsix

Post by sixfeetsix »

I have the same issue. It seems that too many simultaneous connections are created over time, whatever their state.

When the number of connections goes over about 1200, my internet connections turns to crap. The only solution is to stop the transmission daemon on my openwrt'd netgear router. Then the number of connections slowly drops back to about 100, and I can start transmission again.

This may actually be a problem with openwrt that doesn't clean up fast enough after transmission. Anybody experienced anyting similar?
saejin

Post by saejin »

I find that when I run Transmission my ATT DSL Internet feed goes down. The modem shows I have DSL but no traffic is passed. Rebooting the modem (which is in pass through mode) does not cure the problem. Rebooting the router does not fix the problem. If I shut off Transmission. Turn off the modem and router for 2 minutes and restart them, It restores my feed. Everything works normal until I start Transmission. Next I tried reducing the number of total piers, number of piers per torrent, and download speed. Things seem to hold together. I am slowly increasing my settings to find the break point.
I am postulating that Transmission has the ability to over run the ATT connection table in their router, and their router does not recover. I would be interested in finding out what numbers people are using with success through ATT DSL.
saejin

Post by saejin »

I played with it a little more, and found I could open the speed full open without a problem so long as my total number of connections is limited. Am slowly increasing the total number of connections to see where that breaks.