[Solved] Blocklist URL

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Ryoujin

[Solved] Blocklist URL

Post by Ryoujin »

Noticed that starting @ r11368, blocklist URL is configurable. What are we supposed to put in the URL? My Transmission has some address rules in list, but I'm not able to update the list until I put an URL in the field.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: Blocklist URL

Post by Jordan »

Ryoujin wrote:Noticed that starting @ r11368, blocklist URL is configurable. What are we supposed to put in the URL? My Transmission has some address rules in list, but I'm not able to update the list until I put an URL in the field.
One reason for removing the default was because the Transmission team doesn't really know what goes into those blocklists. For the same reason, I can't recommend a blocklist in the forums.

If you Google for "blocklist" and "URL" you'll quickly find several that you can evaluate and decide for yourself.
mustgroove

Post by mustgroove »

Are there any guidelines for the format of blocklist Transmission will accept? I've tried a few different URLs and each time I get an error claiming "The specified blocklist file did not contain any valid rules"
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

xenedar

Post by xenedar »

Let me try this again, since my post was removed.

You have to link to a .gz file. Thus: http://my.server/path/to/file.gz
If your link is to a CGI, it won't work, either by bug or design: http://another.site/?cgi=somefilename

Paste the CGI URL into Safari's download window and it will start downloading the actual .gz. Control/right-click the item in the download window and copy the direct .gz file URL. Put it into Transmission's preferences.

And, of course
it's not endorsed by the developers of Transmission.
mustgroove

Post by mustgroove »

Thanks guys, I tried a .gz at one point but it gave me that error... will try again & see if it works
mustgroove

Post by mustgroove »

Oh and one more question - is there a way of specifying multiple URLs at all? Perhaps with a comma or semicolon or some other separator?
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

mustgroove wrote:Oh and one more question - is there a way of specifying multiple URLs at all? Perhaps with a comma or semicolon or some other separator?
Not currently.
Sweetmate

Post by Sweetmate »

xenedar wrote:You have to link to a .gz file.
Every .gz file i link to gives me "Download of the blocklist failed. The specified blocklist file did not contain any valid rules."
electricpenguin

Post by electricpenguin »

No matter the blocklist URL I enter, I am getting that exact same error every time. "Download of the blocklist failed. The specified blocklist file did not contain any valid rules." I should have kept my old version lol. :roll:
mustgroove

Post by mustgroove »

At the moment I'm simply downloading blocklists & manually unzipping them to the /Application Support/Transmission/blocklists folder... an auto-update feature for blocklists is obviously a welcome (if not needed) feature, but it would be great if it actually worked properly with the pre-made blocklist formats that are most readily available (i.e. .gz, .zip)...
Aetherius

Post by Aetherius »

Well, can someone point to the blocklist url found in the earlier builds of Transmisson?
I haven't found any good links regarding the blocklists issue. Most of the stuff found on Gogle is irrelevant.

So? :D
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

Aetherius wrote:Well, can someone point to the blocklist url found in the earlier builds of Transmisson?
I haven't found any good links regarding the blocklists issue. Most of the stuff found on Gogle is irrelevant.

You didn't read my post...

Transmission used to grab a blocklist on transmissionbt's server. This default list was only a mirror to bluetack's level1 list. If you still want the same list, you can grab it from this url: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz
Aetherius

Post by Aetherius »

Rolcol wrote:
Aetherius wrote:Well, can someone point to the blocklist url found in the earlier builds of Transmisson?

You didn't read my post...

Transmission used to grab a blocklist on transmissionbt's server. This default list was only a mirror to bluetack's level1 list. If you still want the same list, you can grab it from this url: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz
Sorry mate.. me bad. :oops:
I was so tired after work that my eyes didn't catch up with that line. :?
Thx a bunch! :D
Marc31

Post by Marc31 »

Rolcol wrote: [...]
The default list was this one: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz. Just remember that it's not endorsed by the developers of Transmission.
cheers!