Port forwarding details needed

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
asharpham

Port forwarding details needed

Post by asharpham »

I get lost every time I try to follow instructions on port forwarding in linux. I've successfully done it in Windows but altering files in the bowels of Ubuntu leaves me very nervous.

My current port is shown as 51413 and is "closed". How do I set an "open" port? I've gone through this process in Windows when I was using Bitcomet and it was easy. In linux, however, this is mind-boggling. Can someone please help me with step-by-step ibnstructions because so far all such instructions have resulted in reaching a point where my files/details don't match the instructions.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and Transmission 2.01 (10898). Thanks in advance.
rb07

Re: Port forwarding details needed

Post by rb07 »

asharpham wrote:My current port is shown as 51413 and is "closed". How do I set an "open" port?
Its not done at the operating system unless you have a firewall in it... hard to tell with the info you are giving, does Ubuntu come with an enabled firewall out of the box? I don't use Ubuntu, but I've seen many other Linux distributions and they have a firewall, but not enabled by default (like paranoid Microsoft does with Windows).

Take a look at the relevant Wiki section https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/PortClosed; feel free to ask the gory details here ;-)
demons33derxx

Post by demons33derxx »

Ubuntu doesnt have a firewall as far as Im aware.

The OP might actually need to open his router firewall.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

demons33derxx wrote:Ubuntu doesnt have a firewall as far as Im aware.
All Linux distros have a firewall since it is built-in the kernel.

The question really was if it is enabled, normally it isn't except for those distribution that claim to be "hardened".
lakrigg

Post by lakrigg »

Could be iptables perhaps.
run the command
'ps aux |grep iptables'

If it returns with a result showing that iptables is running, just try and kill it.
'killall iptables'

Also connect to your router and enable uPnP , this will allow your workstations to communicate on required ports, rather than have to forward individual ports.

Generally tho, iptables will not block this, and isnt locked down on ubuntu install. So it's likely your router that is closed.