moving torrents to transmission-daemon

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
rama00

moving torrents to transmission-daemon

Post by rama00 »

Hello,

I am running a debian server / Gnome. In Gnome I run transmission as a normal user.

I did install on the same server transmission-daemon and now I would like to move all my torrents that I am seeding in Gnome/Transmission and start seeding with transmission-deamon.
(I will not use transmission anymore via Gnome in the future.)

Is there an easy way to do this (or some sort of cli walkthrough ?)

Thanks in advance.
rb07

Re: moving torrents to transmission-daemon

Post by rb07 »

There is a very easy way, just:
  • Run the daemon as your user;
  • Use the same directories: configuration, downloads, watch...
Doing those two things means you don't have to move anything, the daemon uses whatever the GTK+ or Qt application was using.

In practice it means, first find the start-up script (in Debian it should be a file like /etc/init.d/transmission or perhaps transmission-daemon -- a script, not the executable), see where its configuration is (probably /etc/conf.d/transmission, I usually read the script to see if it is loading that file or something else to set parameters), then just change the parameters needed: the user is set in the call to start-stop-daemon with --chuid, everything else is set as parameter to transmission-daemon, -g for the config directory, -w for the download directory, -z for the watch directory.
rama00

Post by rama00 »

Thanks for reply... and if I would like to use transmission-daemon as user I suppose I only need to change file permission ?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

rama00 wrote:if I would like to use transmission-daemon as user I suppose I only need to change file permission ?
I don't understand what you mean.

I didn't say change users, I said the contrary: make the daemon run as your current user. I also said you don't have to move anything, that includes changing permissions -- no change is required.

Of course I might be missing some information (that you didn't tell), and I was assuming you will be running the daemon for the first time... if you already had the daemon and the GTK client running, with 2 configurations, 2 download directories, 2 lists of torrents, and you want to consolidate everything, that's a different game.
rosch

Post by rosch »

Did you manage to point the daemon to your existing configuration?

I did this and it works:
/etc/default/transmission-daemon
change the directory to your existing settings in .config or .transmission for older versions:

Code: Select all

CONFIG_DIR=/home/username/.config/transmission
/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon
change the user to your own username:

Code: Select all

USER=username
where username should be replaced with your own.

It is recommended to run the daemon with it's own username ..
..but that's a bigger pain if you want to access the files later since you have to chown them first.

Tested on Ubuntu 11.10.
Better ways to achieve this are welcome :)