lost downloaded progress when mac crashes

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
quinx

lost downloaded progress when mac crashes

Post by quinx »

transmission had downloaded about 800MB of a 1GB file when my mac froze (graphics card glitch) and i had to do a hard reboot (hold down the power button). when i restarted, transmission lost the 800MB that was already downloaded and only showed about 15MB downloaded.

is there a way to prevent losing download progress in case your mac crashes?
Rolcol

Re: lost downloaded progress when mac crashes

Post by Rolcol »

That sounds way too excessive. Transmission has a cache of only 2MiB, so that's about the upper end of the amount of data that could have been lost. Have you tried verifying the data and see if Transmission just forgot the data was there (Transfers > Verify Local Data)?

What if torrent data was in the filesystem cache that the operating system handles on its own?
quinx

Post by quinx »

i'll try the Verify Local Data if this happens again. all i can tell you is that before the crash the file was mostly downloaded and after rebooting, transmission basically started over from the beginning.

re the torrent data in the OS filesystem cache, i don't know. how would i go about investigating this?
quinx

Post by quinx »

x190 wrote: Yes! Just get [LAZY]. :)
i don't understand.
quinx

Post by quinx »

i've updated to 2.20. when the system crashes (or external drive disconnects) while downloading, when i restart transmission it says "Please Verify Local Data! Piece #xxx is corrupt.". so i manually verify local data, and i can literally see the download progress shrink, for example from 70mb to 4mb as it verifies while the progress bar turns a yellow color. then i resume it, having lost 66mb downloaded. so it's still losing most of the download progress when a transfer is interrupted.
Last edited by quinx on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quinx

Post by quinx »

i've already completed the download and restarted transmission a few times since, so i don't know how much corrupt data was found. but the data file was always there upon resuming. it's transmission that's losing it's place and can't resume properly without losing 90% of the download progress.

this problem does not occur with utorrent.