Start Transmission webui from the rc.local

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
Reactor89

Start Transmission webui from the rc.local

Post by Reactor89 »

Hi all,

I want to launch Transmission, specifically the Transmission's webui system, from the rc.local shell script.

Ideas, is it possible?

Reactor89
gunzip

Re: Start Transmission webui from the rc.local

Post by gunzip »

Reactor89 wrote:I want to launch Transmission, specifically the Transmission's webui system, from the rc.local shell script.

Ideas, is it possible?
On the linux systems i'm familiar with the rc.local script runs well before the X-window system is started so i don't see how that would be possible.

the place to start it would depend on your desktop envirnoment (kde, gnome, fluxbox, etc) which all support startup applications. at that point you could auto-start Firefox and have it load the the web-gui.
Reactor89

Post by Reactor89 »

gunzip wrote:at that point you could auto-start Firefox and have it load the the web-gui.
Thanks for the input gunzip.

To clarify my question.

I want to launch Transmission and it's web interface on the start up of a server before any users have logged in.

I don't really care about what Transmission could display through XORG while on the server, only that the web interface and transmission back-end is working.

Thoughts? Thanks,

Reactor89
Reactor89

Post by Reactor89 »

I figured it out!

For a server I did not want the standard transmission program, I wanted the transmission-daemon.

http://it-ride.blogspot.com/2009/04/tra ... dless.html

The transmission-daemon loads on boot and is exactly what someone needs for a headless server.

Reactor89