Tracker Priority Order (Dream Request)

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
metaclam

Tracker Priority Order (Dream Request)

Post by metaclam »

Thanks for everyone's hard work on Transmission! It's so much more stable these days, even with > 1500 torrents.

I have one dream feature request: a priority order for trackers.

The idea is simple: list trackers in order of priority. If there are seed requests from high priority trackers, anything on low priority trackers would either pause or go down to a set "trickle" (5K, 10K) total for those low priority trackers.

Right now I have to manually set upload limits for each torrent on these low priority trackers to 5K each. But when there's nothing going to high priority trackers, there's no reason to limit those in that way (as there's bandwidth to spare).

In other words, I have torrents on trackers which will always suck up 100% of my bandwidth and I want them to automatically pause (or significantly slow) to make room for the high priority trackers.
metaclam

Re: Tracker Priority Order (Dream Request)

Post by metaclam »

anyone dare to set a milestone? ;-)
metaclam

Post by metaclam »

The status on the ticket was changed now to "won't fix" and it's been closed by livings124.

Since there's no opportunity to reply on trac as the ticket is closed, let me do so here:

1) how do you know few people would use this? have you taken a poll? The one other user on trac wants it, and before this thread was thinned, several others also supported the idea.

I think it would be useful to just about everyone who uses any quota based trackers, which is in turn almost everyone who uses torrents. Some sites where you have extremely high ratios will suck all your bandwidth 24/7, and some sites where you need to boost your ratio will only get requests infrequently. The latter are thus high priority.

To my mind the lack of being able to control that is the greatest missing feature of torrent clients and pretty much the most obvious thing that should be implemented.

2) it's hardly confusing. I laid out the logic I think quite well, and if you use Groups instead of trackers, you need exactly 4 new interface elements.

I hope this can be reconsidered. And I hope others pipe in.

Thanks.
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

I'm not very well versed in the internals of the torrent protocol but with the limited knowledge I do have I do not see how your client will be able to tell where the other clients got your IP from since as far as I know the trackers are not forwarding those connections, they go directly peer to peer.
I think it would be useful to just about everyone who uses any quota based trackers, which is in turn almost everyone who uses torrents.
I have to call BS on this since to my knowledge most people use open or "free" trackers and those don't keep any form of quota system. If not then please back it up with statistics.