My internet connection dies shortly after i start trans.

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
Funkbuqet

My internet connection dies shortly after i start trans.

Post by Funkbuqet »

Recently something has been killing my wifi connection shortly after I start transmission. Basically I start transmission and everything is working properly. I come back and check on it some time later and all torrents are idle and I cannot access the internet through firefox. It shows that I am still connected to my wifi. i thought it was my crappy old router so i went and bought a new N router, but it is still happening. It actually seems to be happening faster (not sure if this has to do with the amount downloaded? the old router capped out at 350KiS and the new one hits 1400KiS.) Internet still works on all of my other devices so I don't think it is the ISP cutting the connection and if I disconnect and reconnect the wifi everything works well again (for a little while). I am running Transmission-gtk 2.22 on Ubuntu 11.04 (but the problem started when I was running 2.13 (I think) on Ubuntu 10.10).
I don't know if there is something in Ubuntu that I need to fix or if it is mu routers settings. Any help would be appreciated.
Funkbuqet

Re: My internet connection dies shortly after i start trans.

Post by Funkbuqet »

Does any body have any ideas why this is happening? I any one else having this problem?

I adjusted my router settings back to the way they were when i was not having this issue (ie no port forwarding) - no change. then I limited all of my speeds to 150K down and 50K up (generally the speed I was getting before this was an issue) to no avail. Is there a way to tell or a test to see if my router is getting swamped? O a way to tell if my ISP is limiting the amount I can download over a given time period? My ISP is mediacom in FL BTW.

This is maddening!! i am going to try Utorrent and see if I encounter the same issue. I imagine I will as I doubt the problem is Transmission. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you.
kaustic

Re: My internet connection dies shortly after i start trans.

Post by kaustic »

Try disabling uTP ( Edit > Preferences > Network > Enable uTP for peer communication ).
This solved a somewhat similar issue or me.