Using TransmissionCLI 1.50 (w/ torrentflux-b4rt) -- MaxPeers

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
fermulator

Using TransmissionCLI 1.50 (w/ torrentflux-b4rt) -- MaxPeers

Post by fermulator »

Good day!

I've been running torrentflux-b4rt for a long time now on my server. (http://tf-b4rt.berlios.de/) For many years, I was using "bittornado" by default, without really caring. Recently however, bitornado appears to fail at downloading at decent speeds. This setup was running on Ubuntu server LTS 8.04.

On my desktop, Ubuntu 10.04, I tried out the latest transmission GUI (2.05) to test if it was my ISP limiting me, or the bittornado client on the server. As it turns out, the latest Transmission rocks! :-) Got nearly max download throughput from a torrent file. Impressive.

Now, I have been hacking around for a few hours now getting transmission to work with torrentflux-b4rt. TF-b4rt /does/ship with some transmission clients, but apparently it has to patch it some way (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/TorrentFlux-b4rt). I followed those instructions to get transmission 1.50 CLI patched, and I'm running transmission 1.93 on the server now. (again, to clarify, I'm running the ubuntu supplied version of transmission on the server, with a self-compiled transmissioncli @ version 1.50 ... because that is the latest version that a patch exists for getting transmissionCLI to work with b4rt...)

Unfortunately, with the older version of the CLI, I don't see any way to control the max peer connections.

Code: Select all

fermulator@fermmy-server:~$ transmissioncli -v
Transmission 1.50 (7887) - http://www.transmissionbt.com/ - modified for Torrentflux-b4rt
No torrent specified!
fermulator@fermmy-server:~$ transmissioncli -h
Transmission 1.50 (7887) - http://www.transmissionbt.com/ - modified for Torrentflux-b4rt
A fast and easy BitTorrent client

Usage: transmission [options] <torrent-filename>

Options:
  -h  --help                            Display this help page and exit
  -a  --announce             <url>      Set the new torrent's announce URL
  -b  --blocklist                       Enable peer blocklists
  -B  --no-blocklist                    Disable peer blocklists
  -c  --comment              <comment>  Set the new torrent's comment
  -d  --downlimit            <speed>    Set max download speed in KB/s
  -D  --no-downlimit                    Don't limit the download speed
  -er --encryption-required             Encrypt all peer connections
  -ep --encryption-preferred            Prefer encrypted peer connections
  -et --encryption-tolerated            Prefer unencrypted peer connections
  -f  --finish               <script>   Run a script when the torrent finishes
  -g  --config-dir           <path>     Where to find configuration files
  -i  --info                            Show torrent details and exit
  -m  --portmap                         Enable portmapping via NAT-PMP or UPnP
  -M  --no-portmap                      Disable portmapping
  -n  --new                  <source>   Create a new torrent
  -p  --port                 <port>     Port for incoming peers (Default: 51413)
  -r  --private                         Set the new torrent's 'private' flag
  -s  --scrape                          Scrape the torrent and exit
  -t  --tos                  <tos>      Peer socket TOS (0 to 255, default=8)
  -u  --uplimit              <speed>    Set max upload speed in KB/s
  -U  --no-uplimit                      Don't limit the upload speed
  -v  --verify                          Verify the specified torrent
  -w  --download-dir         <path>     Where to save downloaded data
  -E  --display-interval     <int>      Time between updates of stat-file (default = 5)
  -L  --seedlimit            <int>      Seed-Limit (Percent) to reach before shutdown
  -O  --owner                <string>   Name of the owner (default = 'n/a')
  -W  --die-when-done        <args>     Auto-Shutdown when done (0 = Off, 1 = On, default = 0)
I have tried the following in the "settings.json" file:

"max-peers-global": 200
"peer-limit-global": 200
"peer-limit-per-torrent": 30
, but it doesn't seem to have an affect.

Can anyone suggest/comment if the transmission CLI 1.50 has the capability to control the global peer limit? (I had to compile it, so if it's a hard coded value in this version, maybe I can edit that value pre-compile? that would be sufficient...)

Thanks!
fermulator

Re: Using TransmissionCLI 1.50 (w/ torrentflux-b4rt) -- MaxP

Post by fermulator »

hm. Here's what I already have:

fermulator@fermmy-server:/media/arrays/md640/downloads/Torrents/.config/transmission$ cat settings.json 
{
	"peer-limt-global": 200,
	"peer-limit-per-torrent": 30
}
(edit: updated as per the wiki referenced: https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Ed ... iles#Peers)

And, I don't have the transmission-daemon running to HUP it:

fermulator@fermmy-server:/media/arrays/md640/downloads/Torrents/.config/transmission$ ps waux | grep transmission | awk '{print $1,$2,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13,$14,$15,$16,$17,$18,$19,$20,$21,$22,$23,$24,$25,$26,$27,$28}'
www-data 7046 01:26 0:05 /usr/local/bin/transmissioncli -d 0 -u 2 -p 49165 -W 1 -L 100 -E 6 -O guest -g /media/arrays/md640/downloads/Torrents/.config/transmission -ep
www-data 7203 May28 11:10 /usr/local/bin/transmissioncli -d 0 -u 10 -p 49162 -W 1 -L 100 -E 6 -O guest -g /media/arrays/md640/downloads/Torrents/.config/transmission -ep
www-data 7236 May28 2:32 /usr/local/bin/transmissioncli -d 0 -u 10 -p 49162 -W 1 -L 100 -E 6 -O guest -g /media/arrays/md640/downloads/Torrents/.config/transmission -ep
www-data 7445 May28 9:52 /usr/local/bin/transmissioncli -d 0 -u 10 -p 49163 -W 1 -L 100 -E 6 -O guest -g /media/arrays/md640/downloads/Torrents/.config/transmission -ep
www-data 7759 01:31 0:03 /usr/local/bin/transmissioncli -d 0 -u 2 -p 49160 -W 1 -L 100 -E 6 -O guest -g /media/arrays/md640/downloads/Torrents/.config/transmission -ep
www-data 7792 01:31 0:02 /usr/local/bin/transmissioncli -d 0 -u 2 -p 49160 -W 1 -L 100 -E 6 -O guest -g /media/arrays/md640/downloads/Torrents/.config/transmission -ep
www-data 7988 May28 3:31 /usr/local/bin/transmissioncli -d 0 -u 2 -p 49162 -W 1 -L 100 -E 6 -O guest -g /media/arrays/md640/downloads/Torrents/.config/transmission -ep
$
Is there a way to get the current settings to see if that "settings.json" file is working? I don't see any way for me to "reload settings". I've stopped and started the transmissionCLI commands since configuring the settings.json file, but they still seem to have excessive connections. (700+ total ... even though the default is 240!)
fermulator

Re: Using TransmissionCLI 1.50 (w/ torrentflux-b4rt) -- MaxP

Post by fermulator »

Look at my 'ps' output, there is no "daemon" running for transmission. This is a headless server, I presume the daemon only runs when the GUI is opened?