"No Space Left On Device" Error

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
SilverJS

"No Space Left On Device" Error

Post by SilverJS »

Hi guys,

OK. So, I've been using this FreeNAS box more and more recently. I've migrated all of my iTunes library to it and have multiple computers running off of the NAS box (using symlinks - Apple sure doesn't like us tinkerers doing that kind of thing!). I'd also like to off-load some more of my computing tasks to the server, including my Torrent downloads. I've followed the guide here :

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.ph ... #post22966

practically to a 'T', but I keep running into the same problem.

If I start a Torrent download (using the Remote GUI app), the download goes on for a little bit (usually 3 or 4 MB), and then stops, citing a "Permission Denied" error. Then, just to eliminate the Permissions issue, I switched the Transmission user in FreeNAS from www to root (in rc.conf). Now, I get the same result, but the error is "No space left on device" - even though I have well over 6TB of space left. =) (Torrent I was trying to download, btw, was 2 GB.)

I know this is very generic, but please shoot with any info you need to further troubleshoot (including, maybe, how to get it...=)), and I'll gladly help you help me.

Cheers! =)
Last edited by SilverJS on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rb07

Re: "No Space Left On Device" Error

Post by rb07 »

SilverJS wrote:I switched the Transmission user in FreeNAS from www to root (in rc.conf). Now, I get the same result, but the error is "No space left on device" - even though I have well over 6TB of space left.
That is caused by not configuring the download directory, the default for user root is in the flash memory of the NAS, not on the disk (i.e. you are really filling the flash memory).

You need to configure explicitly where the downloads should go, that is usually done on the start-up script, with the parameter "-w" (and you can check the current settings with "transmission-remote -si"). The alternative is to stop the daemon, and edit settings.json (for the new user, you probably have more than one), again changing the download directory.
SilverJS

Post by SilverJS »

rb07 wrote: That is caused by not configuring the download directory, the default for user root is in the flash memory of the NAS, not on the disk (i.e. you are really filling the flash memory).

You need to configure explicitly where the downloads should go, that is usually done on the start-up script, with the parameter "-w" (and you can check the current settings with "transmission-remote -si"). The alternative is to stop the daemon, and edit settings.json (for the new user, you probably have more than one), again changing the download directory.
Ah, I see. OK - but, I edited /conf/base/etc/rc.conf to specify my downloads directories (as per the tutorial above). Not sure how I'd go about doing that for root?

But even better, what is causing the permissions issue that Transmission is reporting if the user is www as per the tutorial above?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

First: I'm not going to read the 'tutorial' you point out, much less correct whatever mistakes it has.

Second: permission problems mean user www (as you stated) has no permission to create files on the directory you are using; you probably created the directory as user root, so the default permissions only allow root to do anything in there. You have two options: the correct one is to change ownership (command: chown -R www:other <directory>), the second option is to change the permissions (command: chmod ...) but that is not recommended.

Third: that file you mention (/conf/base/etc/rc.conf) is probably your Transmission start-up script (or to be precise, a script for all the services your NAS starts, not just Transmission), and the parameters you used are probably wrong. Solution: read the help (transmission-daemon -h) and use the correct option and parameter (full paths, no reference to $HOME or other user dependent info).

Take into consideration that Transmission uses several directories for different purpose:

Option -w specifies the download directory.
Option -g specifies the configuration directory (where Transmission creates other directories).
Option -c specifies the watch directory (if you use that feature).
SilverJS

Post by SilverJS »

OK, copy all.
rb07 wrote: Second: permission problems mean user www (as you stated) has no permission to create files on the directory you are using; you probably created the directory as user root, so the default permissions only allow root to do anything in there. You have two options: the correct one is to change ownership (command: chown -R www:other <directory>), the second option is to change the permissions (command: chmod ...) but that is not recommended.
You are correct, I created the directories as user root, but I also did run the command : chown -R www:www <directories>.
rb07 wrote:Third: that file you mention (/conf/base/etc/rc.conf) is probably your Transmission start-up script (or to be precise, a script for all the services your NAS starts, not just Transmission), and the parameters you used are probably wrong. Solution: read the help (transmission-daemon -h) and use the correct option and parameter (full paths, no reference to $HOME or other user dependent info).
Thanks for that, I'll have a look. The tutorial(s) do have us editing those - but basically, just enabling Transmission and setting the download/incomplete/configuration directories.

No luck yet, I'll keep plugging away.
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

rb07 wrote:Second: permission problems mean user www (as you stated) has no permission to create files on the directory you are using; you probably created the directory as user root, so the default permissions only allow root to do anything in there. You have two options: the correct one is to change ownership (command: chown -R www:other <directory>), the second option is to change the permissions (command: chmod ...) but that is not recommended.
Third option, use ACL's. This means you can set specific permission for several different users or groups and not just the standard 3 (owner-account, owner-group, "the rest"). It's a bit more cumbersome to set up properly but can be "better" for you depending on your needs/wants.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

SilverJS wrote:I created the directories as user root, but I also did run the command : chown -R www:www <directories>
Do you see any files inside any of those directories? If there are, what is their user and group? ... I'm thinking that at one point Transmission created a file (or several) as user root, then running as user www it can't use or delete that file (Transmission usually first creates a temporary file, then moves it over the existing file).
SilverJS wrote:basically, just enabling Transmission and setting the download/incomplete/configuration directories
How? With parameters to transmission-daemon, or some other way?
SilverJS

Post by SilverJS »

Hi there,
rb07 wrote:
SilverJS wrote:I created the directories as user root, but I also did run the command : chown -R www:www <directories>
Do you see any files inside any of those directories? If there are, what is their user and group? ... I'm thinking that at one point Transmission created a file (or several) as user root, then running as user www it can't use or delete that file (Transmission usually first creates a temporary file, then moves it over the existing file).
Can't say anymore. I have actually upgraded my FreeNAS setup to the 8.2-BETA2 that's available now. It uses plugins as extensions, and BitTorrent (Transmission) is one of those ones (along with MiniDLNA, as I recall, and Firefly for sure). However, it's still somewhat buggy - as would be expected - but it seems to have a lot of potential, I think. Most notably, shell access in the web GUI...but, I can't access those directories anymore to answer your question. That being said, I might end up going back to 8.0.4, haven't made up my mind yet. I really WOULD like to have the NAS run my torrents...
rb07 wrote:
SilverJS wrote:basically, just enabling Transmission and setting the download/incomplete/configuration directories
How? With parameters to transmission-daemon, or some other way?
They had us editing rc.conf (/conf/base/etc/rc.conf) by adding the following lines at the end of it :

transmission_enable="YES"
transmission_conf_dir="/mnt/pool/downloads/transmission"
transmission_watch_dir="/mnt/pool/downloads/watch"
transmission_download_dir="mnt/pool/downloads/finished"
transmission_user="www"

With the caveat, of course, of having to change the paths to the actual directories you're using. However, this brings up another interesting point : another tutorial had us, basically, only adding the first and last lines above to rc.conf (enabling transmission and specifying the user). The directories were to be specified in the "transmission" file in /conf/base/etc/local/rc.d. Which brings up the issue of primacy...? Which overrides which? And, to make matters even more complicated, seems like I had 3 or 4 settings.json files running around...

In any case. Things are not perfect right now with the Transmission setup within the FreeNAS plugins system (setup as a Jail), but it's tough to say if it's because of a bug or my own stupid errors. =) RIght now, I can access the Web GUI perfect, but I'm either getting an error "Could not connect to tracker" with magnet torrent links, or, with regular torrents, download stuck at 0%, no peers/seeds/etc found, nothing happening. =) More to follow, I'm sure - but is there anything that jumps to mind as to why this would be happening?

Thanks for the help so far!
rb07

Post by rb07 »

SilverJS wrote:Could not connect to tracker
That one depends on the tracker. You could test using a traceroute (tracert in Windows) to see if you can reach it, even if its reachable the specific port used by the tracker might be blocked (not by you, but by someone else), and there are other, uglier, cases.
SilverJS wrote:download stuck at 0%, no peers/seeds/etc found
That's similar to the first one, if there is no connection to the tracker, then only through DHT you can do anything (and DHT is disabled for private trackers, so in that case, nothing can be done until the connection to the tracker works).

For testing you should try different torrents with different trackers before you try to reach any conclusion.

This is getting way off topic.
SilverJS

Post by SilverJS »

Got it. In any case, my queries on the FreeNAS forums have basically told me to standby - BETA3 will be coming out shortly (end of next week, apparently) and the Transmission plug-in, which is supposedly quite buggy at the moment, will be practically wholly re-written, obviating any reason for troubleshooting now. Thanks for the help anyways, I'm sure I'll be back here at the end of next week. =)
rb07 wrote:This is getting way off topic.
Indeed. =) But better that than to clutter the forum with a new thread, I figure...?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

SilverJS wrote:But better that than to clutter the forum with a new thread, I figure...?
I don't think so, a post with the correct problem is more likely to attract the people who already know the answer.

Anyway you are on the right track, which was to ask the freeNAS forum. The only way their plugin or whatever is going to get fixed is if someone report the problem to them... I really don't like the idea of using rc.conf, its an ancient way of doing things and makes everything difficult (i.e. instead of testing things like I do: /opt/etc/init.d/transmission stop, make some changes, /opt/etc/init.d/transmission start).
wildersoft

Post by wildersoft »

Hello, I found a solution, when I opened the transmission website, the torrent had a strange local directory address, the name of my external disk tag ended with "Expansion Drive", but in this torrent I did not have it, so I searched by the terminal and I saw that there were two directory names for my external disk, one with only the name of my external disk and another with the "Expansion Unit" in the end of label, I changed manually and after a test, the error was resolved.