Switching All my Torrents from Laptop to Desktop

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
bigfootspartan

Switching All my Torrents from Laptop to Desktop

Post by bigfootspartan »

Hi,

I know this question has been asked a few times, but unfortunately the previous answers I could find haven't helped. Essentially, I'm seeding around 300 different torrents, and would like to move them all to my desktop computer (which is always connected to the external drive).

So essentially, I have the completed torrents connected to my desktop, I simply need to move the Transmission data (i.e. torrent file list) to my desktop. I found a previous thread that showed how to do this here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11968

Unfortunately when I go to ~/Library/Application Support there is no Transmission folder or application. Similarly when I go to ~/Library/Preferences or ~/Library/Caches the folders I need to transfer aren't there.

Anyone know where Transmission currently stores this information, and how I can access it to transfer it to my desktop?

Thanks in advance.
Soapm

Re: Switching All my Torrents from Laptop to Desktop

Post by Soapm »

Here's how I do it, I move the files the delete everything in the resume folder. Then right click and verify data on each torrent and presto...

Now if you're using the remote gui you can use it to add the .torrent files and it will verify the data and get you seeding again.
bigfootspartan

Post by bigfootspartan »

Thanks for the link! I actually figured out how to get into the library folder, but unfortunately Transmissions preference files/torrent lists/settings aren't saved there. Even when I try to search for .torrent files on my computer, none come up (which is what someone on a different forum recommended).
Soapm wrote:Here's how I do it, I move the files the delete everything in the resume folder. Then right click and verify data on each torrent and presto...

Now if you're using the remote gui you can use it to add the .torrent files and it will verify the data and get you seeding again.
I figured I could do this. The only problem is that I have 300+ torrents I'd like to seed, and finding the .torrent files for each on the internet would be a painstakingly long endeavour. I was just hoping there would be a way to copy the torrent list so that when I transfer the completed torrents between computers I can continue seeding.
oldguy

Post by oldguy »

bigfootspartan wrote: (which is always connected to the external drive).
The external drive thing drove me nuts for a while: I used the external drive as the "download/save to" place.
I'd find an item at 5% that *was* at 80%. There would also be a mystery loss of some of my boot disk available space.

Apparantly, something would happen that would cause the loss of the external drive (power bump, some interruption in the interface/ OS, refresh of some sort???). Anyway, an invisible drive would be created on my boot drive and Transmission would start working THAT ONE instead of the real external.

Your "drives" can be located at bootdisk>>Volumes. Use whatever process/utility you are comfortable with to see invisible stuff. Be aware that the created invisible drive will look just like the real external as far as internal structure goes -- so it can get a bit confusing as to what is where.

I have settled on using my boot drive (an external bootable is OK) as the save-to and have deleted that pesky invisible copy.