Disconnect if VPN drops?

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
minty

Disconnect if VPN drops?

Post by minty »

I own a Mac, I am very much a newbie to it and struggle with the finer details of networking.

I understand I'd be foolish not to hide my IP at times. I have a VPN service, but from time to time it will drop, then Transmission will commence peer-to-peer with my real IP address, which I'd rather avoid.

Is there any way to make a preference in Transmission, so that it 'sees' the VPN IP when the program starts, but instantly kills all transfers if the VPN drops (eg if it suddenly 'sees' a new IP for my computer instead of the VPNs) ?

Great program. I have donated in the past and it was worth it.
minty

Re: Disconnect if VPN drops?

Post by minty »

Appreciate the help, had a look, I have no file called org.m0k.transmission.plist in Library

Do I need to make one there?

The other link is to stuff too advanced for me I just can't follow it.
ajohansson

Post by ajohansson »

WOuld be great if you didnt have to bind to the ip address specifically but to the interface. My vpn changes the ip address everytime i connect to it. There are scripts that do it. I havent figured it out yet cant get it to work. Is there a plisteditor command to tell is to connect to the interface?

But vuze which i really dont like does have integration right in the program to do this. It will not download/upload if the VPN is not connected at all. A pretty simple set up in vuze but I hate the vuze GUI and all the other crap in it. I love how light transmission is but cant get another letter from verizon so I have to be on the vpn and I cant have transmsission continue if I lose connection. If transmission had this safety feature it would be the ultimate!!!!
ajohansson

Post by ajohansson »

well after more research looks like there is a way to do this. I used the patch from this ticket thread

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2313

added BindInterface and put ppp0 in the string and it works perfectly. well I thought I download, turn off vpn and it stops, then finds my other network for some reason and connects. looks like its vuze till if figure this out.
jhnielson

Post by jhnielson »

ajohansson wrote:well after more research looks like there is a way to do this. I used the patch from this ticket thread

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2313

added BindInterface and put ppp0 in the string and it works perfectly. well I thought I download, turn off vpn and it stops, then finds my other network for some reason and connects. looks like its vuze till if figure this out.

Thanks for the sharing this info. Would you mind sharing how you went about compiling/building this version with the patch? I'm a a bit of a newbie to this type of patching and wasn't able to follow how to do this.
Tron

Re: Disconnect if VPN drops

Post by Tron »

Hi crew, this sounds like an excellent feature, GREAT WORK..! but would like to know if there's a Snow Leopard version available.... :?: :?: :?:
Exp

Post by Exp »

This is what you guys are looking for, very easy to use.

https://github.com/joshbernfeld/Transmi ... ace-Binder
Marc31

Post by Marc31 »

Exp wrote:This is what you guys are looking for, very easy to use.

https://github.com/joshbernfeld/Transmi ... ace-Binder
Exp … p … p … exponentially … explicitly … ex … ex … excellent!

All that remains to be wished for now is keeping connectable. Contradiction in terms seems to ring a bell.

cheers,