Download the scarcest bits of a file first???

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
dwdockins

Download the scarcest bits of a file first???

Post by dwdockins »

Just noticed this PR blurb on download.com...

"The current beta requires that you use an Intel Mac, but brings with it many cool improvements, including the ability to remove all completed transfers and to download the scarcest bits of a file first."

I know how to control removal of completed xfrs but the scarcest bits thing escapes me.

Question - is this an automatic feature built in to Transmission or is it a parameter users can control? Or is it coming with a future release? I can't find a reference to it anywhere.

Thanks, dwdockins
blacke4dawn

Re: Download the scarcest bits of a file first???

Post by blacke4dawn »

I'm pretty sure that it's standard procedure for Transmission as a whole and not configurable at all since it is a way to improve the overall health of that torrent swarm.

A link to said "PR blurb" would have been good since it sounds old since I am sure it was said to do so years ago, at least for Linux client.
dwdockins

Post by dwdockins »

So sorry not to include the link, which is apparently referring to whatever version was current as of 05/04/2011, which I am embarrassed to say I didn't notice at first. I agree that it must be a normal feature of Transmission; is that why some transfers are phenomenally slow to get started? Anyway, here is the link -

http://download.cnet.com/Transmission/3 ... TRE96aff28

Thanks
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

No, it has nothing to do with that.

Outside of manually set priorities this system will request the pieces that the least amount of peers has to try and "equalize" the availability between the pieces of a torrent.