Request: Add "move up/down/top/bottom" buttons to toolbar

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
tuxolero

Request: Add "move up/down/top/bottom" buttons to toolbar

Post by tuxolero »

Hi there,

At the moment, it is quite cumbersome to reorder torrents in the queue if you want to move them up/down by more than one position: Right-click, move mouse down to the reorder-submenu, open submenu, move mouse again, click the desired menu item. Repeating this multiple times is painful. With toolbar buttons that can be just clicked repeatedly it would be much easier.

Alternatively: Add keyboard shortcut like ctrl-up for moving up, ctrl-home for moving to top etc ...

I'm using the gtk version, maybe this applies to the other GUI variants, too.

Regards,
tuxolero
Last edited by tuxolero on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killemov

Re: Request: Add move up/down/top/bottom buttons to toolbar

Post by killemov »

If you don't mind using a web UI, you might try Shift. The current version allows for all selected torrents to be moved at once. The menu for moving torrents in the queue does close after clicking on it.
tuxolero

Post by tuxolero »

Thanks for the hint, it is worth a look.

But ...

As far as I understand the post you mentioned, Shift is for transmission-daemon, but I am using transmission-gtk. Will Shift also work with transmission-gtk ?
Alternatively: Can I easily switch between transmission-gtk and transmission-daemon without losing my torrents list ?

BTW ... In transmission-gtk, you can also mark multiple torrents and move them all at once (like you wrote about Shift).
The problem is:
You can only move them by one position at a time - or to top/bottom. If you want to move them up or down by more than one position, you have to open the context menu and navigate to the desired "move" menu item again and again. The marked torrets stay marked after moving, but of course the context menu closes.

In the screenshots I saw that in Shift, move is also a context menu item. So, I have the impression it does not make such a big difference.

Regards,
tuxolero
killemov

Post by killemov »

tuxolero wrote:As far as I understand the post you mentioned, Shift is for transmission-daemon, but I am using transmission-gtk. Will Shift also work with transmission-gtk ?
Alternatively: Can I easily switch between transmission-gtk and transmission-daemon without losing my torrents list ?
The marked torrents stay marked after moving, but of course the context menu closes.
Shift with tm-gtk? Probably not.
Easy switch between gtk and daemon? Probably yes.
I'm thinking about using the shift key to keep the q-menu open. Would that help?
tuxolero

Post by tuxolero »

Unfortunately not, the menu still closes.

But I have another workaround: I found a set of python scripts that are able to control transmission via the RPC interface and adapted them to my needs (needed to learn python for this).
One of them can be used to export the torrents list in its order into a text file. Then I can edit the text file and use another python script to change the order of torrents according to my text file.
Also useful for my old version (shipped with ubuntu 12.04) that forgets the order on every restart: I always keep the latest version of my text file
killemov

Post by killemov »

FYI Keeping the q menu open with the shift key is implemented.
tuxolero

Post by tuxolero »

Unfortunately, it does not work for me. First, I thought the reason could be that I have transmission-gtk running on a PC without monitor, keyboard and mouse, only controlled remotely via x11vnc. But now, I have installed transmission-gtk on a second computer with local monitor, keyboard and mouse. And there it does not work either.

Version is 2.92 (14714) on Arch Linux 64 bit.
Don't know it if matters, but the keyboard is german.

How I (try to) use it:
  • right-click on a torrent
  • left-click on "Queue"
  • press (and hold) the shift key
  • left-click on e.g. "Move Up"
And while still holding the shift key, the context menu closes.
killemov

Re: Request: Add "move up/down/top/bottom" buttons to toolbar

Post by killemov »

To be clear: I've implemented it in Shift, not in the official clients.
tuxolero

Re: Request: Add "move up/down/top/bottom" buttons to toolbar

Post by tuxolero »

OK, well, then I have to think again about switching from transmission-gtk to transmission-daemon.
There is just one thing that held me back until now ... so far I could not find any transmission-daemon client that can rename files within the torrent. This is a feature of transmission-gtk that I use in literally every torrent I ever added and every one in the future.
Can I rename files in Shift ?