p2p sharing of .torrent files?

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
nusquared

p2p sharing of .torrent files?

Post by nusquared »

Hi,

I currently have the following setup:

I use a Raspberry Pi as a server for my headless Transmission session and control it from my phone through the browser. So far, so awesome!
The only annoying part of this is I need to find the torrent file, copy the link and add it to the session, all on my phone. This is somewhat painful, especially since nowadays places like isoHunt and kat are blocked by my ISP (weirdly, I can side step this quite effectively by switching my phone to use 4G instead of WiFi, lol).

Anyway, wouldn't it be much better if Transmission (which is my fav client by far) simply had a distributed store of all torrent files used by all users, and made it searchable directly? There is a client out there already trying to do this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribler) but I'd rather see this feature in Transmission (given its much larger user base). We share the media content in a p2p fashion, isn't it time to share the .torrent file in the same way?
blacke4dawn

Re: p2p sharing of .torrent files?

Post by blacke4dawn »

I do not see this as interesting due to the devs hard stance on piracy and thus they would spend large amounts of time to curate this "store", time that would be much better spent on improving Transmission. Another point against this is that by doing this they can become a target for copyright holders, like tracker.example.com IsoHunt and such are.

Considering those two point the benefits would be very minor compared to the extra work and legal troubles it would bring in.

Personally speaking, if this comes to fruition then I'd rather see it as a third-party site that Transmission and any other torrent client can "hook up" to so that we don't get an "island" per torrent client but rather one single big ocean.
nusquared

Re: p2p sharing of .torrent files?

Post by nusquared »

Ah, I see, good points. Thank you!