Transmission quit unexpectedly Mavericks

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
kabadesu

Transmission quit unexpectedly Mavericks

Post by kabadesu »

Transmission crashes with the message "quit unexpectedly" every day since installing it 2 weeks ago. I have hunted around for ways to fix it on the forum but nothing seems to help (disabling App Nap, for example).

Transmission 2.82 + (14215)
Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9
Crash report: http://pastebin.com/vK9td0Hn

I have my mac waking from sleep at 4pm every day. I have Automatic downloading torrent files from ShowRSS into a directory. I have Transmission watching that directory to add any new torrents it sees.

If there is any more information you need, please let me know.

Thanks.
kabadesu

Re: Transmission quit unexpectedly Mavericks

Post by kabadesu »

Thanks for the reply.

Not that I'm aware of.

Just had it happen again this time just from adding a torrent manually. http://pastebin.com/XHy506SA
Begoozam

Post by Begoozam »

(Sort of) glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Started this evening. Weirdest darned thang..

It tell me either that Permission has been Denied, or that it finds no data and that I should check my drive connections.

Whats even more strange/interesting is that this ONLY happens when the download has downloaded up to 4 meg of data. I have tried several download files and they all crash before they dl 4 meg of data, although not all the same amount. Some quit at 3.9 meg and others at 4 meg, and the first one was at about 1.7 meg

Hope that helps someone who might have an insight

Cheers
mrbball

Post by mrbball »

Same problem with unexpected quits with just installed Transmission 2.8.2
shortcuttomoncton

Post by shortcuttomoncton »

Did anyone find a fix? Mavericks here, used Transmission for years off of an external JBOD array. Yesterday switched my external box over to Thunderbolt; a number of movies which had been in the middle of downloading before the changeover subsequently downloaded, but it turns out their extensions did not change from ".mkv.part" and thus will not show up in Plex; I tried to change manually but it will not let me do so; on BT's end, they showed as seeding and now finished.

I just tried adding another torrent to the external drive; it starts but then says "error: no data found". So I tried adding to my local drive instead; after a couple seconds of downloading following adding the magnet, BT crashes; when it restarts, the file is somehow pointing to my external drive, with the "error: no data found".

Anyone?
shortcuttomoncton

Post by shortcuttomoncton »

Update: Is this some sort of permissions issue? It looks like I cannot re-name any files or folders on the external disk, or copy, etc. This must be related and was not an issue at all until yesterday. Permissions in Get Info are set to allow me to Read & Write. What am I missing?
Tinus

Post by Tinus »

Begoozam wrote:(Sort of) glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Started this evening. Weirdest darned thang..

It tell me either that Permission has been Denied, or that it finds no data and that I should check my drive connections.

Whats even more strange/interesting is that this ONLY happens when the download has downloaded up to 4 meg of data. I have tried several download files and they all crash before they dl 4 meg of data, although not all the same amount. Some quit at 3.9 meg and others at 4 meg, and the first one was at about 1.7 meg

Hope that helps someone who might have an insight

Cheers

@Begoozam,

Yip same issue here, just downloads a bit and then stop, saying data file missing [ so pause's the torrent ] In addition i downloaded uTorrent to check if it might be settings on Mavericks, but it worked fine. I hope we can get this sorted guys, been using Transmission for over 3 years and won't change for anything. particularly for its clean face and blocklist.

Anybody found a solution or reason yet ?
Pierobon

Post by Pierobon »

I don't know if this will help you guys find the issue but,
Since I switched to transmission daemon 2.8x, every time it is managing (downloading and uploading) a lot of GB at the same time the software simply crashes at random.

My solution for this was to activate only a single torrent at all times... But now my daemon isn't even starting anymore.
I don't know what mess you guys did when you jumped from v2.77 to v2.8, I just know I'm still sticking to 2.77.
Pphilippe

Post by Pphilippe »

Same nightmare here.
Transmission just crashes after fiew mega hâve been downloaded
I used the latest Mavericks release as per today, idem for Transmission, same with or without the use of strongVPN.
Machine is a MBAir late 2013 i7 8/512Go
cashFromChaos

Post by cashFromChaos »

It's possible that some of you may be hitting into the same issue I have with the WindowServer process using too much CPU. See "sluggish GUI systemwide in Mavericks with Transmission". In my case the WindowServer ends up using about 70-100% (200% seems to be the maximum as I have a 2 cores) after some hours (typically more than 6).
jollymon6672

Post by jollymon6672 »

I too have been having a continuous stream of "unexpectedly quits" with versio 2.8.4 on Mac OS 10.9.4

I am lucky to get it to run 10 minutes before it quits. Can anyone suggest a better alternative product?
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

jollymon6672 wrote:I too have been having a continuous stream of "unexpectedly quits" with versio 2.8.4 on Mac OS 10.9.4

I am lucky to get it to run 10 minutes before it quits. Can anyone suggest a better alternative product?
What version ran for you last?

If the 2.8x versions don't run for you I would suggest trying 2.77 from here: http://download-origin.transmissionbt.com/files/
Transmission-2.77.dmg -> http://download-origin.transmissionbt.c ... n-2.77.dmg
or at this post: https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/532#comment:204

Transmission is the best product out there. Maybe send us what your error log shows so someone can help with what ever is the problem.
CyberSkull

Post by CyberSkull »

Today I was running 2.8.4 on 10.9.4 and it suddenly stopped working today, giving a segmentation fault (error 11). After crashing in the middle of downloading, it then crashes on launch.