possible bug?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
findftp

possible bug?

Post by findftp »

First of all, I like the client. Just like it says: fast, easy and free.
Second, the registration process for this forum is IMHO a bit over the top, it's not a bank account or something.

I'll get to the point.
Basically the transmission client is keeping my HDD spinning while I have no downloads or uploads running in transmission.
I wandered why transmission keeps accessing my HDD which should sleep after 15 minutes since it is part of my HTPC which should be quiet and cool.

Before I used utorrent and had not this problem.
Is it a feature that the HDD needs to be checked every 5 seconds or so?
I'm running the windows binary since my HTPC is running mediaportal (all other PC's and laptops are linux)

Greetings,
rb07

Re: possible bug?

Post by rb07 »

findftp wrote:Is it a feature that the HDD needs to be checked every 5 seconds or so?
Only if you have watch dir (a.k.a. Automatically add .torrent files from:) enabled, and there's no OS support for file events.
findftp wrote:I'm running the windows binary
Windows is not one of the supported platforms. Each Windows distribution has its own support.

I'm not sure, but I think there's no Windows support for file events, so Transmission does fall back to checking the disk every N seconds. The support might be buried somewhere in libevent (a library used by Transmission).

Forgot to add: Its not a bug. Its a feature.
findftp

Post by findftp »

rb07 wrote:
findftp wrote:Is it a feature that the HDD needs to be checked every 5 seconds or so?
Only if you have watch dir (a.k.a. Automatically add .torrent files from:) enabled, and there's no OS support for file events.
Yes, but these are read from another hard disk so should not interfere.
findftp wrote:I'm running the windows binary
Windows is not one of the supported platforms. Each Windows distribution has its own support.

I'm not sure, but I think there's no Windows support for file events, so Transmission does fall back to checking the disk every N seconds. The support might be buried somewhere in libevent (a library used by Transmission).

Forgot to add: Its not a bug. Its a feature.[/quote]
Ok, thanks for the answer.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

findftp wrote:should not interfere
And you are the expert... and expect us to guess that there are more than one disks involved... and how you configured the settings.

Perhaps the problem is not the watch directory. You said:
findftp wrote:while I have no downloads or uploads running
which is ambiguous.

You don't have any torrents? or you do have torrents but you don't see any activity?

Those are very different situations. If you have torrents, then Transmission is active at least with the trackers, and maybe even with peers for a short period where you are not looking... its hard to guess.

You should probably look at the log, it could show what is really active. Look for anything that says or implies that the program wrote to a file (statistics, torrent status -- the .resume files, DHT stuff), that could be what keeps the disk awake.

I'm the one who builds the Transmission-Qt for Windows distributed from SourceForge, and I'm the one that did most of the porting to Windows. I'm sure Windows supports file events. As far as I know, Transmission-Qt doesn't need anything to be ported for that.

From a technical point of view Transmission-Qt is using Qt's QFileSystemWatcher, and only uses a timed scan if the .torrent file is invalid (i.e. waits for the file to finish downloading -- .torrent files could be very big, if the torrent is). I don't know the details of Qt's implementation, I wouldn't expect it to use a timed loop.

Side note: You should also consider using the daemon, cfpp2p has a binary distribution also in SourceForge (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15129). Since its the daemon, it handles the watch dir differently, and its probably better (i.e. more efficient -- and you can still use Transmission-Qt as the GUI)... but that won't change the problem if its not caused by the watch dir.