what happens if you forget to verify local data?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
airtas

what happens if you forget to verify local data?

Post by airtas »

I had a torrent that I wanted to restart seeding but it wasn't in my list so I downloaded the torrent again. I noticed it was re downloading the files so at 4% I stopped. I then downloaded the torrent again and this time hit verify local data and it started seeding without and downloads this time.

Did my files get over written or damaged since I didn't hit verify ?
rb07

Re: what happens if you forget to verify local data?

Post by rb07 »

Probably not. Transmission doesn't start to write files right away, it seems you caught it on time since verification passed (yep, its called luck).

By "downloaded the torrent again" do you really mean the magnet (not the .torrent file)?

Transmission, by default, doesn't behave the way you described. Either your description is not precise, you are using a very old version, or something else happened. If you use a .torrent file, and the existing files are in the download directory, and no file/directory names have been changed, then Transmission verifies the existing data before downloading.

With magnets it doesn't work like that, verification is not (currently) done. See ticket 4089 .

If you changed file or directory names (from within Transmission or not), the changed files/directories don't exist in the newly downloaded .torrent or magnet. If you changed location, the same.

Those 3 cases are the only ones where existing data is "not verified" (because Transmission doesn't have the metadata, or can't find the existing files).