Completed torrent still downloads something

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
fturco

Completed torrent still downloads something

Post by fturco »

I have Transmission 2.82 on a Ubuntu 13.10 system. I have an already downloaded torrent that I added to Transmission for seeding purposes. Despite read-only permissions Transmission still downloaded something (0.36 kB to be exact), and now the share ratio is a meaningless number (over 3 million). I attached a screenshot for a better understanding of my problem. Is this a bug? Is there a workaround? Thank you.
Attachments
transmission.png
transmission.png (62.1 KiB) Viewed 8023 times
fturco

Re: Completed torrent still downloads something

Post by fturco »

I don't think it's the same problem. Can you elaborate, please?
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

looking at what we have from trac ticket 5655 I'm not sure where to go with this. Can you tell me how you re-seed the torrents. Is anything from magnet-links, watch directory or scripts?
fturco

Post by fturco »

The torrents that exhibit this problem have not been added as magnet links, but just as traditional .torrent files. I don't use watch directories or scripts (I'm not even sure what they are used for).

I decided to remove Ubuntu and go back to Gentoo. All torrents have been re-added again, and I'm now waiting for the problem to reappear. I'm now using Transmission (Qt version) 2.82 (14160).
fturco

Post by fturco »

Yes, verification of existing data goes OK. The problem happens after some hours seeding the torrent. I can confirm it also happens under Gentoo. Is there some debug information I can obtain in order to help fixing this bug?
fturco

Post by fturco »

The fact is the torrent doesn't pause or show any error message.
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

This seems an unusual problem without much leads to go on. My gut feeling is that if it is a direct transmission issue it pertains to threading. If you reproduce the issue 2.82 then try a version 2.77 or prior to try and reproduce; as 2.8x had threading changed. At any rate we need to be able to reproduce and then find the changeset that causes, that is -> if it is a transmission problem.
fturco

Post by fturco »

OK, I removed the ~/.config/transmission and ~/.cache/transmission directories, downgraded Transmission to 2.77-r1 and added torrents again. I will wait a few days for the problem to appear, then I'll report back to you.
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

There is another report of this bug, so you are not alone.

http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-re ... ail?id=777
...and now the share ratio is a meaningless number (over 3 million)...
I made a patch for that GUI to display an additional meaningful sanity "Seed Ratio".
fturco

Post by fturco »

After having seeded my torrents for some days now I can say that Transmission 2.77-r1 doesn't exhibit this problem. So the bug has probably been introduced in later versions.
fturco

Post by fturco »

I'm now testing version 2.80-r1.