Error: Read-only file system

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
BillMan

Error: Read-only file system

Post by BillMan »

Does anyone have a fix for the "Error: Read-only file system" error?

I can't download anything. .torrent or magnet.

Please help
blacke4dawn

Re: Error: Read-only file system

Post by blacke4dawn »

What are you running Transmission on, a.k.a the OS and how it's installed? From the error itself I can only say that it's a problem with the OS itself and not Transmission.

Have you checked the file system itself, so that you can write to it and that Transmission writes in the same way? I have seen some Linux installs (over a decade ago) that you could run from a CD and it would write to memory or a secondary HDD, could be something similar here.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

It is installed on my dd-wrt router. So that is why I'm so confused by this.

It came preinstalled in the package of dd-wrt

It is the newest version of 2.82
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

Yes, I have tried doing a search on this, spent a good couple weeks, Can not seem to find an answer to this problem.

Would you be able to confrence into my computer and check out my router and etc? See if you could figure this out? I must be missing something, the way it sounds?
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

I don't fully understand the situation.

I'm taking just now a very quick look at your situation.

you have dd-wrt router right?

Are you trying to download to router or the PC?

Maybe I'll log into your router to see what's up but for me I'd need you to have openssh-sftp-server and openssh packages installed for me to work. Like this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15509 I helped another.

But I'm only quickly looking at your threads so if you can please provide what more information you can before we decide if it will work for me to log into your router.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

yes, I have dd/wrt

Under Nas, it has enable or disable for transmission. I click enable. I tell it to save to the /sda partition or the /jffs partition and I still get the read only error.

I am having it trying to save to //downloads, in the default location it chooses.
I also tried putting in my network location //billlaptop/_______ to the destination folder, and that did not work.

I am stuck and do not know what to do, to get transmission to work. If you need to log into my computer instead of router, to get better access, that is a possibility too.
I am just stuck, and I want it to work. Or another torrent program, but I am told tornado is the best?

I have the router buffalo G450 hooked up to a Western Digital USB 2TB hard drive.
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

I tell it to save to the /sda partition or the /jffs partition and I still get the read only error.
That's all wrong. The sda would be like your router's root boot partition and the jffs (Journaling Flash File System) is the routers internal flash. I don't think you want to touch these and besides typically very small, wouldn't make any sense and would corrupt the dd-wrt install. You should not be messing around with these. You need to go to the forums for your router and dd-wrt on how to set up external storage for it. You need to create a mount point for your hard drive then the mount point name will show up beside something like /dev/sdc1 . Use your mount point for transmission's settings.json "download-dir": . If you want network for your hard drive try installing packages for nfs-server and nfs-utils.
Or another torrent program, but I am told tornado is the best?
Nothing will help until you mount your hard drive properly. Transmission on routers and NAS works superbly.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

I got the hard drive mounted. I can run DLNA just fine.

/mnt/sda1 is what I am using. I tried using just /mnt and that did not work either. I also tried /jffs and that did not work either.

I am at a loss on what I can do.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

Would someone remote connect to my laptop, to check out my routing settings and everything else needed?

Thanks
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

if I install transmission in

//mnt

and put a download forlder in there

What needs to be typed in to save it in that location?

//mnt/downloads

?? Thanks
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

I'm sorry, I don't think you understand much about your router with the Linux operating system. I don't think that I can help you as you might have too much to learn for me. A beginners forum for your router and also a forum for beginners on Linux might be for you. I am confused by the request to connect to your laptop; when you say you want transmission on your router/NAS, and not the laptop.
I also tried /jffs
I told you once what I thought about the Journaling Flash File System but you went ahead and tried that again anyway, so I think I'm not getting through to you and you'll need some other help than me, sorry.

Log into your router and set up a mount point named something like transmission-general-downloads . Set this up and then do a df . When you see something like below as the result then post it here and maybe somebody can help you. Go to forums for Linux and/or your router if you can't do these type of things.

Code: Select all

# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                  237731    156780     78497  67% /
/dev/root                 6528      6324       204  97% /initrd
/dev/sda1               237731    156780     78497  67% /
/dev/sda1               237731    156780     78497  67% /share/flash/data
/dev/sdb1             15135648     34632  14947244   1% /share/hdd/data
/dev/sdb2               123955      4153    118522   4% /share/hdd/conf
/dev/sdb2               123955      4153    118522   4% /share/flash/conf
/dev/sde1               121462     76434     45028  63% /share/hdd/data/transmission-A-downloads
/dev/sdd1             58715071  43304109  12285172  78% /share/hdd/data/transmission-B-downloads
/dev/sdc1             58715071  20077999  35511282  37% /share/hdd/data/transmission-C-downloads
#
Last edited by cfpp2p on Fri May 09, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

I have tried mounting, but I get a read only error. and also permission denied with putty.

That is one of the reasons I was hoping someone could connect to my computer.

I only tried to save to my computer, to see if ti would even save to that, but it doesn't
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

I have tried mounting, but I get a read only error. and also permission denied with putty.
Go to forums for Linux and/or your router if you can't do these type of things.
That is one of the reasons I was hoping someone could connect to my computer.
Your computer is not the problem. Go to forums for Linux and/or your router if you can't do these type of things.
I only tried to save to my computer, to see if ti would even save to that, but it doesn't
It is just not that simple. Try nfs-server and nfs-utils to save to your computer's filesystems. Go to forums for Linux and/or your router if you can't do these type of things.

I don't think that I can help you as you might have too much to learn for me.

Sorry I can't help. :(
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

All is good. I don't need to run an nfs-server as it is already on my router. the program loads up. It just downloads about 1MB and than stops. Like it is saving in cache and than it fills up and can't write it.
BillMan

Post by BillMan »

I mean transmissionbt is on my router so I don't need to run nfs-server

dd-wrt is installed on the router. I can save files with SMB just fine.