transmission watch-dir not working with network share

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
zwerver

transmission watch-dir not working with network share

Post by zwerver »

I'm trying to use a network share as a watch-dir for Transmission, but I think I found a limitation. The torrent files placed in that folder are only added to download when I start or restart the transmission daemon. It looks like some "watch this folder" mechanism doesn't work well.

I've got Transmission installed on a linux server (Ubuntu 14.04, headless) that uses a network folder (mounted, fstab, cifs) from my nas (Qnap) as a watch-dir. When I manually add a torrent (samba share) from a linux desktop machine transmission-daemon will not notice the newly added file. When I login (ssh) to the linux server and modify the file somehow (without changing permissions or ownership), transmission-daemon does notice a change and adds the torrent file to download.

So now I have some questions:

- does transmission-daemon use inotify to monitor the watch-dir changes?
- if so, could it be that inotify cannot monitor all changes from a network folders, mounted with cifs?
zwerver

Re: transmission watch-dir not working with network share

Post by zwerver »

Almost one year after this question no-one seems to know the answer... :|
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

It most probably uses inotify (you're on Linux after all). And yes, it's probably true that it won't work on anything but local filesystems (don't know about NFS though), see e.g. this SO question.

There was some work done on improving watch capabilities of transmission-daemon by @missionsix and me, including but not limited to fallback mechanism which will try to use plain polling each 10 seconds (by default) if inotify or kqueue fails to initialize (previously, if it fails it fails). If you're able to apply the patch and check whether it works for you that would be great.

Another way to make it work is to just disable inotify when you're building from sources, IIRC there's `--without-inotify` configure option or something like that.
gurgle

Post by gurgle »

Yeah this is happening on my machine too. Did you end up solving it?
fneyret

Post by fneyret »

Hi. Same here, NFS mount who hosts the torrents files.
When I put a .torrent file in the watchdir, nothing happens (except if I restart transmission-daemon). But, if I touch the files, they are added to the queue.

So, maybe with a cron it can work.