Always auto-resume at certain time

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Nehemoth

Always auto-resume at certain time

Post by Nehemoth »

Hi guys. First time around.

I usually leave Transmission downloading my stuff at night when I'm sleeping or at day when I at work, but sometimes I do forget to resume manually the download or sometimes I'm so tired that I felt asleep and obviously waste that time and bandwidth.

I would like to know if its possible to add an auto-resume schedule, so that can be possible to set certain times at which transmission would resume the download.

Regards
Nehemoth

Re: Always auto-resume at certain time

Post by Nehemoth »

Maybe I didn't understood the documentation, but that looks like is for speed schedule, so maybe you want to tell me that I should set up very slow speed settings at certain hours BUT if that's the case I would prefer the option to auto resume as my bandwidth is really limited.
chops

Post by chops »

First time here as well.

I'm currently on a satellite internet connection that allows unlimited bandwidth in a five-hour window during the early morning hours, and all download traffic after that time is metered. I too would like the ability to auto-pause all torrents and auto-resume them according to a schedule.

The issue with using Speed Limit to accomplish similar goals is that Transmission still attempts to connect to seeds and peers even if I have upstream/downstream bandwidth set to zero during the Speed Limit period. Not only does this tend to result in peers abandoning me due to seventeen hours' worth of inactivity, the process of connecting to peers even to do nothing consumes downstream bandwidth that is deducted from my daily allotment.

One possibility is that Speed Limit could be modified with a choice to pause/resume all torrents or (by default) limit bandwidth during the scheduled time.
blinding

Post by blinding »

I run a similar schedule and have up/down speed set to zero. Yes, it is unfortunate (stupid!) that Transmission still makes connections when it can't actually transfer data.

My answer was to automate a start and stop of Transmission. It is on a Linux system so I can use a cron entry to run the start/stop script.