El Capitan Transmission window is invisible on launch

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
beerski

El Capitan Transmission window is invisible on launch

Post by beerski »

The app launches, it will continue to pass data if there are active torrents and settings can be changed via the dock menu or app menus. However none of the windows for the app itself will show up. cmd-1, cmd-2, cmd-3 all seem to open windows, but they won't display on screen. At some time later on (can't figure out what triggers it) the windows will appear, including whatever additional settings windows you tried to open.
beerski

Re: El Capitan Transmission window is invisible on launch

Post by beerski »

It may be notification centre related. I was just able to get the windows to "pop" into existence by swiping two fingers from the right (activating notification centre).
beerski

Post by beerski »

Nobody else is seeing this? The notification centre thing may have been a coincidence. I deleted and reinstalled Transmission which fixed it for a while but the issue has reoccurred.
beerski

Post by beerski »

Not as far as I can tell.

Other apps are present on that desktop, selecting hide/unhide from the dock does nothing except bring Transmission to the front without actually drawing any windows on screen. Pinning it and unpinning it to different desktops does nothing. Clicking on the dock icon again brings Transmission to the front and switches to the desktop that is hosting it, but draws no windows on the screen. Pressing cmd-1 highlights the menu action as it would under normal operation but no window appears on screen.

I have tried every way I know how to make the app windows appear but nothing does. Everything else about the app behaves as under normal operation, but its windows will not draw on screen, nor can they be interacted with in the location where they used to be (indicating that they aren't invisible, but that they are not appearing on screen at all).

I could see maybe if it is a system issue, but I won't be doing a fresh install just for this app, and it doesn't affect any other app on my system.
beerski

Post by beerski »

Update: Selecting Minimize from the menu forces the animation to draw, and then makes the window visible. At least this seems to be a reliable workaround for the time being.
Whizzbizz

Post by Whizzbizz »

I slightly suspect hiding of desktop icons as the culprit - no guarantee. I sometimes have the same issue, but not in Transmission, but other apps - sometimes iTunes, sometimes it's that the menu bar isn't shown. I have reported it to Apple for the El Capitán public beta, but it still persists.
Older apps like "Cog" (FLAC player) have "disappeared", too. (OK, it's very old, but windows…)

There definitely IS something wrong in Apple's window management ("Window Server"?). And I think it first appeared in one of the "bigger" iTunes updates some 2 years ago...

Sorry for not giving a real solution. (Crawling one step further…) :cry:
neverman

Post by neverman »

I have this happen often, especially after Transmission crashes and I try and re-launch. I have it programmed to terminate if my VPN connection drops. However Transmission will just as often crash while the VPN is still running. In either instance, it's difficult to relaunch, often taking several attempts or a re-start.

I will try the option beerski suggested selecting Minimize from the Window menu. Overall though Transmission seems to be running better (re-launching normally) after installing the latest build.
Whizzbizz

Post by Whizzbizz »

Just to find a workaround while the bug(?) persists:
"Hide application" and get it back to front will perhaps redraw hidden windows?