how can I limit the port range used by Transmission for QOS purposes?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
johnyoung

how can I limit the port range used by Transmission for QOS purposes?

Post by johnyoung »

I wanna limit the ports used by transmission so I can easily apply QOS on those ports. Is this setting available? I've looked at settings.json but nothing stands out.

Thanks a lot! :)
CorvusB

Re: how can I limit the port range used by Transmission for QOS purposes?

Post by CorvusB »

Ok - first - I would think I'm about the last person who should be offering an answer - being as I am a brand new transmission user. But, I fail to understand how a link to an EIGHT year old issue is applicable today - at least - not without some sort of explanation, eh? I even went to the link, and fail to see how it applies, other than remotely, to the op request.

However - in getting my transmission install started - I've learned a thing or two.

So check out this page:
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/EditConfigFiles

for these settings:
peer-port: Number (default = 51413)
peer-port-random-high: Number (default = 65535)
peer-port-random-low: Number (default = 1024)

peer-port is where transmission listens for peer requests. The next two "-random-high" and "random-low" can be used to limit the port range for outgoing traffic. I set mine to the very same port I used for peer-port, as I have seen other forum posts saying that the poster got such a setup to work.

E.G.
peer-port: Number (default = 50100)
peer-port-random-high: 50100
peer-port-random-low: 50100

I'm still getting my setup operational, so I won't say the above range restrictions work. But I think they will, based on other forum's posted answers to similar issues.
CorvusB

Post by CorvusB »

Ok. After going back and looking up where I got the idea that the outgoing port selection was limited by the "peer-port-random" range, and then reading not just the incident you linked, but all the trailing comments in that thread, I see what you mean. And, I understand why you linked that thread.

Actually, 3 years ago a poster in that thread also suggested using the "random-high/low" range for port limiting - and the response was that this range was used to randomize the incoming/listening port when peer-port-random-on-start is set to TRUE (what you said).

And in reading the complete thread under the issue, I see that some work-around solutions are mentioned. A couple of different methods for assigning the transmission demon a separate internal IP are prominent. But that QoS with transmission is for most people a no-go item.

There's another learning moment - thanks!
mbtm

Post by mbtm »

Based on Ticket 776, I'm going to try to setup up dual IP addresses my Mac by simultaneously enabling wired ethernet and wifi and sending the BT traffic only over ethernet. Does any know the Mac OS X equivalent of the following preferences that are available for the Linux/Unix versions of Transmission:

- rpc-bind-address
- bind-address-ipv4
mbtm

Post by mbtm »

Thanks. I wasn't sure on the preference name convention. Presumably, the RPC bind address name is RPCBindAddress?
mbtm

Post by mbtm »

Well, I kind of got it working using an alias IP address applied to the ethernet card. There is a serious issue though - Transmission UPnP appears to still be mapping the listening port to the primary IP address for the ethernet card rather than the alias IP, but at the same time Transission appears to be listening on the alias IP address. Perhaps I need to disable peer listening port address randomization and manually map it?
mbtm

Post by mbtm »

ok, static forwarding of the listening port to the alias IP worked, but now I can't use the randomization feature.