First "Copyright Infringement" notice I ever get, several questions

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
beloved

First "Copyright Infringement" notice I ever get, several questions

Post by beloved »

If this does not belong in here, please paste it in the correct directory

Xubuntu 15.10 Transmission 2.84

I have been using transmission since 5 years or so, 2 years since I study (college, with an account too) and I never had any problem until 2 days ago: college (not the ISP, nor MAFIAA) sent me an email, blocking my account:

Code: Select all

2016-01-01D11:01:23H Copyright Infringement in wlan0 22:53:20:19:33:55
I naturally wish not to become more of those and have several questions:

I have always set transmission to require encryption and have usually limited uploading to 200 KBpS. A week ago I changed it to 2000 KBpS and I suspect it is related: Can it be I was being ignored for just downloading and when I started uploading massively (20 GB per day) I activated all alarms? For reference, I usually downloaded between 10 and 30 GB per day for months and no problems at all.

A new feature for me that I found in this forum is the blocklist. I downloaded http://john.bitsurge.net/public/biglist.p2p.gz and several from http://list.iblocklist.com/?list=ydxerp ... eformat=gz to the blocklist directory, extracted and now I have 689,099 rules. Will that make any difference?

For the first time I took a look at Properties-Peers and saw the several IP addresses from which each torrent is downloaded. What do you do to check if the torrent is trustworthy or not? check each IP? if so, how do you do it? copy and paste in an IP locator?

yup, it was not wise to use wlan0 on campus, but speeds there are fast :D

What do you do to avoid these nasty surprises in email form?

Do you have strategies to avoid being detected? like just downloading/seeding during certain times? Please share.

Does changing the MAC (medium access control) Address mean any difference? Thats what they blocked in my case (there are several terminals on campus and I can log in onto any of those with my account, with internet)

thanks