What does the "Available" value in torrent properties mean ?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
tuxolero

What does the "Available" value in torrent properties mean ?

Post by tuxolero »

Hi,

I wonder what the "Available" value in torrent properties ("Information" tab) really means. I have a few torrents where it seems confusing.
Examples:
  • I have 61 %, there are two peers, each one has also 61%, there has not been any progress for several weeks, "Available" is shown as 100%
  • I have added a new torrent, there is only one peer that has 95 %, I have 1 % (just started), "Available" is shown as 100%
In the first example, I always thought that possibly every peer could have different blocks, making a total of 100% available. But then, there should be some progress on one of the peers or on my client. Even if all peers are constantly busy. In several weeks, there should have been at least some time slot on one of the peers. My clinet runs 24/7, so I am sure I did not miss such a time slot. But all of this is speculation, of course.

But the second example (occurred today) is something that just can't be correct, or I don't understand what exactly the "Available" value means.

Can someone enlighten me ?

Thanks, and Regards,
tuxolero