What happens when upload and download limit is zero?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
blinding

What happens when upload and download limit is zero?

Post by blinding »

I have transmission configured so the upload and download limits are both zero during the week day. Evenings and weekends the rates allow for transfers.

But even when bandwidth is set to zero transmission is still quite active. If it has a magnet link it will go ahead and download the metadata. It will happily announce all the active files and open peer connections to transfer them. And, of course, it is still listening on the incoming port. As a result I have configured cron jobs to stop transmission weekday mornings and restart it at 6PM. This is not ideal as I can not see the state of the queue or add new torrents.

I suggest that it would be useful for transmission to detect when the global upload and download rates are both zero and cut back on the work it does. At the very least is should not be opening peer connections when it is not able to transfer any data. Ideally no torrents would be active but rather waiting until the bandwidth becomes non-zero.

Comments?
blinding

Re: What happens when upload and download limit is zero?

Post by blinding »

Those are very useful discussions of the current behavior when either upload or download is set to zero. I am suggesting it would be useful to change what happens when both upload AND download are zero. Specifically I would like it to put any potential torrents in the wait state.