methodology to organize seeds?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
lazylew

methodology to organize seeds?

Post by lazylew »

I have two basic questions:

1 - In the forum rules it says something about *not* dealing with *illegal* downloads.
In my naivety I assumed all torrent sites, and thus all downloads, are in fact illegal?

2 - I wonder how other people keep stuff organized.
I mean, when I download an e-book and also some mp3s, they will be in my Torrent folder and seeding for some time.
After a while though, the folder gets a) too full and b) not how I organize normally - meaning I want the e-book finally in my e-book-folder and not forever living in the Torrent folder.
So I have no idea how people keep seeding the same stuff sometimes for years; this must all remain in that same one Torrent folder, correct?
lazylew

Re: methodology to organize seeds?

Post by lazylew »

x190 wrote:For #1 you need to research 'Public Domain' and 'Creative Commons'. ...
#2 I think many use 'groups' for this purpose. You can move data around, and rename it as well, within Transmission and keep seeding as long as the data is not altered.
For #1, I'll update my reading there, thanks.
For #2, I don't know what you mean by using 'groups'?
zosky

Post by zosky »

i use flexGet to monitor the RSS feed of torrent trackers, automatically add & pre-sort the downloads into transmission-daemon ...
  • new torrs are automatically added to a specific sub-folders based on the RSS feed they came from (like ~/downloads/linux-isos or ~/downloads/public-domain-movies )
  • then an on-complete-script "processes" them...
    • if dir=downloads/linux-iso
    • extract to ~/isoFolder
    • move torr-data to ~/seed/
  • lastly -to keep the queue clean- i also have another script (run by cron nightly)
    • if ( "in seed dir" & "seeding for 3days") ... delete-data
    • if in "public-domain-movies" ... remove torr (keep data)
whenever i add things manually, i have to manually pre-sort (move to ~/downloads/public-domain-movies) so the on-complete still happens. or i leave them in the default location (~/downloads) and they are ignored by the on-complete-script.
blinding

Post by blinding »

I used to move some torrents to where I permanently kept them but continue to seed from the new location. Not sure if Transmission supports moving torrents elsewhere but keeping them active. That was when I ran uTorrent on my Windows system.

Now I run transmission on an Odroid C1 (a Raspberry Pi clone). It has a 500GB USB drive on it because that was what I had laying around. If I want to keep seeding something I just leave it in the queue after I copy it to its permanent location on my NAS. Yes, it is a duplicate but disk storage is pretty inexpensive these days. If I was seeding terabytes I would have to rethink this.

I switched to the Odroid because it and the USB drive pull about 10 watts. This uses less electricity than leaving my PC on all night.