How to modify user-agent name in transmission linux

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
san3roy

How to modify user-agent name in transmission linux

Post by san3roy »

Hello Everyone,

i have build a custom application and used transmission 2.48 in a Debian box. I need to change the user-agent name transmission 2.48 to something else.
i need to show my application name in any torrent client when they got peer from transmission. please help me if anyone know how to do it.

thanks in advance
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: How to modify user-agent name in transmission linux

Post by mike.dld »

You cannot tell clients how to display your client, they're only getting a peed ID from you. If you change peer ID prefix (say, changing "TR" part to something else), you'd need to let each of other clients' authors know how to display it for them to change their software, or hope that they'll figure it out on their own sooner or later.

P.S. You probably meant version 2.84, not 2.48.
P.P.S. Hopefully your application is distributed under GNU GPL v2 or later.
san3roy

Post by san3roy »

mike.dld wrote:You cannot tell clients how to display your client, they're only getting a peed ID from you. If you change peer ID prefix (say, changing "TR" part to something else), you'd need to let each of other clients' authors know how to display it for them to change their software, or hope that they'll figure it out on their own sooner or later.

P.S. You probably meant version 2.84, not 2.48.
P.P.S. Hopefully your application is distributed under GNU GPL v2 or later.
Thank you for your reply but in deluge i can change the client name in peer id its working very fine why not in transmission? check the link bellow you can understand http://euer.krebsco.de/change-deluge-user-agent.html

waiting for your reply
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

I feel like I don't understand you well. Anyway, that article you pointed to seems to change two things:
  1. peer ID prefix: see configure.ac and CMakeLists.txt
  2. user agent which used when communicating via HTTP(S) with trackers, webseeds, etc.: see web.c
san3roy

Post by san3roy »

x190 wrote:session.h

#define TR_NAME "Transmission"
hello sir
is it possible to make changes in default package in Debian 8. I mean i have installed the software with

Code: Select all

apt-get install transmission transmission-daemon -y
thank you for your reply