Request: transmission-gtk: Use F2 for renaming files in the properties window

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
tuxolero

Request: transmission-gtk: Use F2 for renaming files in the properties window

Post by tuxolero »

Hi,
Nearly all programs I use that have a "rename" operation on items (File manager, JDownloader, ...) use F2 or two single clicks (select, wait, click again) for starting this operation.
But transmission-gtk is an exception, using "space" or a a single-click to start renaming. You always need to adapt yourself to changing key bindings when swithcing tasks. That's really annoying.

What makes it worse is that the "space" key sometimes even switches its mapping:
  • Open torrent properties, "Files" tab
  • Click on a file, rename it (or cancel using Escape key)
  • Use cursor up/down for navigating, leave the mouse alone
  • press space to start renaming, confirm with "Enter" key or cancel with "Escape" key
repeat the last two steps a few times and suddenly, "space" opens the download folder in the file manager instead of opening the "rename" editor.
From the usability point of view, tha change of mapping is a bad thing to happen.
It does not happen always and so far, I could not figure out what makes it change the mapping.

Therefore I suggest to use a dedicated key for renaming that never changes its mapping. F2 would be a good idea, because it is really common. At least in Windows an Linux. I don't know about mac.

Thanks and Regards,
tuxolero