Really bad news. All data deleted.

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
mussra

Really bad news. All data deleted.

Post by mussra »

Hello, I made a change in the configuration of transmission service in a raspberry pi 3 with osmc media center. The change I made was activating the ratio-limit to 2 and ratio-limit-enabled to true. Then after some hours seeding, I got my osmc with all the configuration lost and the 2TB HDD where the torrent file was downloaded almost empty :o (the sd card where osmc kernel is installed seems to be totally deleted). I said almost empty because there is only directory that were not deleted and it was the directory of the torrent that I have recently downloaded and the one that I wanted to stop seeding when a ratio value of 2 were achieved :shock: .

PLEASE, check this!. May I be wrong? May it be possible that transmission deleted wrongly all my personal data??

I've red some similar posts in this forum such as viewtopic.php?t=7380
and
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18004

but I found no solution there.

I need to know where the problem is in order to avoid it in the future

Edit:
having the following folder structure, only the folder
Last downloaded folder
remains intact:

Code: Select all

\
\etc\...
\media\
    \HDD_2TB\
         other folders and files
         \downloaded\
                     other folders and files
                     downloaded with
                     transmission.
                     \Last downloaded folder\

mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Really bad news. All data deleted.

Post by mike.dld »

This looks more like the case of unmounted drive than of Transmission deleting arbitrary files when it wasn't asked to at this point. Did you check that your `HDD_2TB` is still mounted?
mussra

Post by mussra »

Yes I did. As I said I can see a single folder, the one where the torrent was downloading.

Thinking about it, I see two options:

1) Somehow, when the ratio was achieved, everything went wrong and the files were deleted wrongly. Really I don't think that this is the real cause but as I saw a few posts in this forum talking about data being deleted wrongly I decided toncreate this post.

2) Second option, probably, another process deleted all my data except that folder. Why? Well, just because the folder was being used by transmission during the delete process.

What's your opinnion??
Can you help me to clarify the origin of the problem??
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

What I'm saying is that even if you don't mount the drive, you could still see stuff in the directory. That's how things work. Are you absolutely sure that it's mounted (i.e. did you check `mount` or `df` commands output) or are you saying it is based on the directory being non-empty?

I can't see any reason for Transmission to remove your files unless you ask it to. This includes 1) explicitly sending the particular command for each torrent by selecting "Trash data and remove from list..." in web UI and similar in native clients (which would also lead to torrents disappearing from the list in Transmission interface), 2) setting up a completion script that (re)moves data. Making it delete the data any other way is improbable because of the way the removal is done, meaning Transmission cannot accidentally recursively remove non-empty directory --- this will lead to an error returned back from the system and operation being refused. I see now that x190 had similar ideas about what could've happened (the second link you posted), which doesn't surprise me at all.

Transmission also doesn't lock the files and folders it's working with (except for one file that is irrelevant in this discussion), and even if it did the locking in *NIX is advisory meaning another process would have had no issues removing the data.
mussra

Post by mussra »

I plugged the hdd into a windows system and I se the same folders but rechecking them, I noticed that they'r empty with a folder named .____padding_file inside and remember, the whole system was deleted, not just the mounted drive but also everything inside the root "\" directory. :cry:
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

Removing everything in / sounds even less like Transmission (or any other non-system process really) unless you're running it with root privileges which is never a good idea.
mussra

Post by mussra »

It seems more like intentional deletion but not recent change make me suspect...

Ok, thank you very much for your help!