Cache size on a NAS

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Natrus

Cache size on a NAS

Post by Natrus »

Hello there,

I am actually using transmission for torrenting on my nas 24/7. In order to avoid wearing of my HDDs, I was planning on increasing the default value of cache size. But I find very few informations on the matter. Some recommend 64mb, others 512mb, I even saw 2048mb !!

Taking into account I'm running transmission on docker on a DS718+Nas, with upgraded 8Gigs of RAM, with two 10To Seagate HDD and 100Mbps connection, what could be the "optimum" cache size, to release the actual pressure set on the HDD ?

Thanks a lot for your time and your help !
killemov

Re: Cache size on a NAS

Post by killemov »

I use a "cache-size-mb" setting of 16 and AFAIK there is no optimum cache size. If you are downloading many torrents at a time a larger cache size might prevent some fragmentation of files, but THE thing concerning wear and tear of your drive is spin up/down so try setting your drives to a long a timeout as possible.
Natrus

Post by Natrus »

Hi, I set it to 1024, and got less noise from the hdd.

How can you handle timeout ? How to increase it ?
killemov

Post by killemov »

Although this has nothing to do with Transmission, see HDParm to start you off.
Natrus

Post by Natrus »

Ok I see, I don't have timeout. My nas never shut down nor go to sleep. It has been on non stop seeding (200KBps to 4.5MBps) since I got it last year.