Transmission keeps seeding while file has been removed or deleted (!)

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
denniss

Transmission keeps seeding while file has been removed or deleted (!)

Post by denniss »

I have a very strange issue;

I am using Transmission on my Synology NAS,
when I have downloaded a file , I will move this or remove this from the download folder.
So, ususally you should expect an error of Transmission saying that the file could not be found anymore.
I do this because I do not wanna seed a lot due to Dutch laws.

But, since 2-3 months Transmission keeps uploading,
Even while the download has been moved or removed !
How is this even possible? Should be impossible.
When I click "Verify Local Data" , then Transmissions sees the file has been removed and will give the expected error.

I am not happy, I have seeded 2TB of data in the last 80 days,
I was unaware of this because I moved the downloads from the download folder.
I really dont know how this can be possible ?!

Does someone has any idea?

Br, Denniss
denniss

Re: Transmission keeps seeding while file has been removed or deleted (!)

Post by denniss »

No, its not a copy operation: The downloaded TV serie has been moved/removed from the shared folder.
Uploading shouldnt even be possible anymore. When I look in the folder I see the downloaded serie has been removed.
But, it keeps uploading/seeding.

It only stops when I click "verify local data" in Transmission,
then it looks like Transmission "suddenly sees" the data does not excist anymore.

I really cannot understand this issue. Maybe there is something of cashed data in the Transmission service?
I will make a screenrecording of the issue so you can see it.

( I can remove the torrent ofcourse, but I do not always login to transmission.
I just move downloads to my series folder. Before this problem upload stopped because of "cant find file error" )
denniss

Post by denniss »

Ok, but explain me: How could data still be uploaded while the whole file has been removed ??

The whole search/download/move to mediaserver procces goes automatically,
before it was no problem: Downloaded file has been moved to series folder (so removed from shared folder) and upload stops immediatly because data has been removed. Transmission is now uploading data while there is no file anymore.
blinding

Post by blinding »

On Unix/Linux systems files have "use" counts. If you remove a file while a program still has it open, I.E. transmission, then the directory entry is deleted but the actual data remains. The data and the name you use to find it are two different things. When the use count drops to zero then the file is removed freeing the space. This happens when the file is closed by the program, the program exits, or the system reboots.

Why are you not telling transmission to delete and remove? You are not supposed to be deleting the file manually! You should be copying the file and then telling transmission, via the GUI or Web interface, to remote the entry.
denniss

Post by denniss »

Why are you not telling transmission to delete and remove? You are not supposed to be deleting the file manually!

Because when the file is downloaded completly, my NAS automatically moves it from my shared "downloads" folder to my unshared folder named "series" . (series folder is indexed by Plex media server).

So I was thinking that when te file has been (re)moved from the download folder, the upload will stop because of missing file error
(In my view this happened before). I never knew this principle, I thought the file is gone from the download folder so uploading wont be possible anymore.

So I never login to Transmission on my NAS. I was shocked that I uploaed 2TB in the last 80 days!
blinding

Post by blinding »

You can set the default upload download ratio to limit how much you upload.

Would it work to configure transmission such that your "series" folder is where it moves completed torrents? In the settings.json configuration file these are called "incomplete-dir" and "download-dir". Then Transmission will know the file was moved. Will still upload though.
rakkioo7

Post by rakkioo7 »

On the off chance that you do that while Transmission is running, it despite everything has a 'handle' or 'record descriptor' for the information and won't 'see' that it has been moved until you restart Transmission or delay/restart the downpour. Have a go at setting diverse 'inadequate' and 'download' areas inside Transmission to achieve your area objectives without physically moving information while Transmission is running.
HappyCod

Post by HappyCod »

blinding wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:47 pm You can set the default upload download ratio to limit how much you upload.

Would it work to configure transmission such that your "series" folder is where it moves completed torrents? In the settings.json configuration file these are called "incomplete-dir" and "download-dir". Then Transmission will know the file was moved. Will still upload though.

What a great and, of course, well written post. It`s so useful…