[THEME] Tailmission: A refresh using TailwindCSS [WIP]

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
f3bruary

[THEME] Tailmission: A refresh using TailwindCSS [WIP]

Post by f3bruary »

Hi all,

I've been working on a new theme for Transmission using the TailwindCSS framework, and examples from their component library. It's still work in progress, but it should be fine to use as it is right now. Feel free to report any bugs or suggestions :)

https://github.com/f3bruary/tailmission

Screenshots can be found on the Github page.
I can't seem to upload them here ("Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.")
killemov

Re: [THEME] Tailmission: A refresh using TailwindCSS [WIP]

Post by killemov »

It still looks a lot like the stock web-UI, including the same waste of screen real estate. Why is that darn progress-bar such an ingrained element in torrent clients? Maybe the background of the row could be used to show progress instead.
f3bruary

Post by f3bruary »

Hi killemov,

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't intend on deviating much from the 'layout'. I just wanted to change the styles to something a bit more modern-looking. Could you explain what you mean exactly with the waste of screen real estate?

I am pondering to create some new from the ground up (without jQuery). I did this project because I had some time to kill before my next dev gig :)
killemov

Post by killemov »

Ah, "screen real estate" is an expression for emphasizing the value of available pixels on the screen. So the waste of that means showing more of less valuable things whilst also taking up more screen space. The shown progress bars are the most glaring examples. Also notice the empty space to the right of the text, above and below the progress bars. Most torrent client UIs have more or less the same layout, Shift being a healthy exception.
f3bruary

Post by f3bruary »

Oh so you dislike that the progress solely takes up the entire width, but the rest of the row content is so little?
How do you feel about a grid layout? Like 4 columns (https://i.imgur.com/8VTzeVM.png).

Or do you prefer rows where the content is simply better utilized?