Transmission as regular user on NAS?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
emunas1

Transmission as regular user on NAS?

Post by emunas1 »

Hi all,

OK so I am running a transmission daemon on my NAS. The NAS is a Western Digital MyCloudEx2 Ultra. It comes with Transmission 2.94 that is installable through the NAS itself.

The problem is that it is running as the root user. Any files and folders that get created/downloaded through Transmission cannot be deleted, changed or altered except through Transmission itself. If I run chmod -R 777 on the specific files/folders, that solves the problem, but it only works for files and folders that are already there. Anything which it creates later will still lack the permissions.

Somebody suggested that I run Transmission as a regular user, and not the root user. But I am not sure if this is possible or how to go about doing this.
Is there any way to make it so that all of the files Transmission downloads going forward will automatically have full read/write/edit permissions?

Thanks!
killemov

Re: Transmission as regular user on NAS?

Post by killemov »

AFAIK transmission should run with its own user/group. You can edit the settings.json to change the default permissions for the files created by transmission. See https://askubuntu.com/questions/157455/ ... ion-daemon