Transmission Won't Start

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
MementoMori5

Transmission Won't Start

Post by MementoMori5 »

It was working fine last night. Went to sleep, and when I woke up it wasn't working. When I click the icon to start the program, it appears in the dock, and bounces for a very long time. Eventually it stops, but the program does not start up, and the only thing to do is force quit. I have restarted my computer, and shut it down. I am using an iMac on 10.7.4

Any ideas?
MementoMori5

Re: Transmission Won't Start

Post by MementoMori5 »

x190 wrote:#1 Move the following folders/files to your Desktop.

~/Library/Application Support/Transmission
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.LSSharedFileList.plist
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist
~/Library/Caches/org.m0k.transmission

"~" = your home folder.
http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/access-u ... os-x-lion/

#2 Trash the .app.

#3 D/l a fresh copy and re-install application.

http://www.transmissionbt.com/download/
I have downloads that haven't finished yet. Will I have to re-download all of them?
SkoiSirius

Post by SkoiSirius »

Hey x190,

I am having the same problem all of a sudden. I was running an older very of Transmission and recently updated to 2.75. Last night it apparently froze and now I am not able to get the program started whatsoever. It just keeps freezing and not even opening.

I just did all the steps you listed above, except I moved everything back to their original places AND THEN opened the re-downloaded 2.75 Transmission. Still having no luck. It bounces in the taskbar and then never opens and I have to Force Quit the program. I even have tried installing old versions of the program.

Am I doing something wrong...or...what's going on?

Thanks for any help!

~S~
SkoiSirius

Post by SkoiSirius »

Well I mostly returned them because that's where all my what . CD torrent files are...how do I make sure these return and totally re-install the program at the same time?

Thanks!
SkoiSirius

Post by SkoiSirius »

I also just attempted the removing the "Resume" Files suggestion from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8588

Didn't work :(. Really bumming!
SkoiSirius

Post by SkoiSirius »

Well I'm completely frustrated now. I did what you had mentioned above, it worked. Thank you. Took HOURS to re-load all my torrents into Transmission and get everything up and going again.

Needed to restart the computer for something, get it booted back up, start Transmission, and WE'RE BACK TO THE SAME F%%^$&#*$ PROBLEM again.

Any ideas? I'm losing serious credentials with my Torrent sites this week due to this. Really annoying! What could be going on?! (I feel like I never should've updated...)
Peacecop

Post by Peacecop »

I have the same problem. Transmission crashes directly after launch. Tryed to download an older version, works better but after a while (2-20 hours) it crashes.

Seemes like the problem has been known for a while now, why doesn't Transmission crew fix this?
captain

Post by captain »

Related to the below offered "solution", EMPTY ANY WATCH FOLDERS before trying to run Transmission "cleanly".

I've noticed that one easy way to make Transmission lock up is to put too many .torrent files in the watch folder at once. I think this "Transmission Won't Start" problem is related to pushing the program to its limits, and there are not safeties coded in. I think Transmission gets hung up on trying to do too much at once and probably overflows its todo list and then panics and just sits there not doing anything.

Anyway, after emptying watch folder, and moving ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission to another folder, and getting Transmission running again, I sometimes find that I can shut Transmission down, move ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission back, and it'll fire up. I don't see any reason to trash my Preferences (as suggested), but maybe trashing the Cache could help. Losing my very complex preferences would be even more painful than all this mess! ;-p

One other hint: open Activity Monitor and see if Transmission is actually doing anything. CPU? Network/Disk usage? If it is still doing something, maybe we just have to WAIT. On one occasion I waited about 5 days and it finally finished whatever the heck it was doing and started running again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
x190 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 pm #1 Move the following folders/files to your Desktop.

~/Library/Application Support/Transmission
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.LSSharedFileList.plist
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist
~/Library/Caches/org.m0k.transmission

"~" = your home folder.
http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/access-u ... os-x-lion/

#2 Trash the .app.

#3 D/l a fresh copy and re-install application.

http://www.transmissionbt.com/download/