Where are my .torrent files?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
deepgreens

Where are my .torrent files?

Post by deepgreens »

Running Transmission 3.0 client in a Docker on OMV5 (based on Debian).

Where does Transmission save .torrent files?

I updated my Transmission client to 3.0 and something went wonky. It used to save new .torrent files as filename.torrents. It is now saving new ones as randomcharacterstring.torrent.added files but I don't see these being converted to a .torrent file once the download is complete.

When Transmission restarts, it doesn't recognize these .added files and they don't appear in the client. I need to go to the torrent site and redownload recent .torrents again. Transmission then recognizes the existing data on my drive.
killemov

Re: Where are my .torrent files?

Post by killemov »

Sorry to burst that bubble but since 3.00 the torrent names are always converted to the related torrent hash.
deepgreens

Post by deepgreens »

OK, that's fine but why does the Transmission client not recognize those .added files after a restart? It's a hassle to have to go download the .torrents again in order to seed them.
killemov

Post by killemov »

Ah, I think you are talking about the watch-dir, where torrents are found by transmission and copied/processed to a working directory. The original torrent file is then renamed with an appended .added. The watch-dir is configured in settings.json. The working directory is something like:

Code: Select all

/var/lib/transmission-daemon/.config/transmission-daemon/torrents
And that is where the torrenthash.torrent files live. Then there is also a directory that contains the current state of the torrent

Code: Select all

/var/lib/transmission-daemon/.config/transmission-daemon/resume
And that is where the torrenthash.resume files live.
So the torrent files in the watch-dir should become irrelevant after they are added. The problem could be that the working torrents directory and the resume directory are in a volatile writing space that is cleared every restart. Maybe they are in your docker container when they should be outside of it.
deepgreens

Post by deepgreens »

Thanks for explaining the process. It helps me understand the flow.

I do have a /resume folder under the same ./config folder as the /torrents folder containing the .added files. The /resume folder is populated with files and they persist after a restart but Transmission just doesn't see them or do anything with them after the client restarts.

I noticed that the docker compose only the specifies 3 folders below but not a /resume folder:

volumes:
- <path to data>:/config
- <path to downloads>:/downloads
- <path to watch folder>:/watch

Transmission is populating that /resume folder, it just doesn't seem to look in there after a restart.

I accidentally updated Docker this morning and this wiped out the torrents that Transmission was seeding. I had to add my old (pre-Transmission 3.0) .torrents then go back and redownload my recent snatches to get them seeding again. Should I just add the files that are in /resume next time this happens?
killemov

Post by killemov »

I accidentally updated Docker this morning and this wiped out the torrents that Transmission was seeding.
This makes me assume there is something wrong with your Docker setup. It should not contain the torrents or resume files. They must remain outside the container.