Transmission verrifies all torrents on start. Permissions issue with .torrent files?

Ask for help and report issues with the GTK+ version of Transmission
parachuge

Transmission verrifies all torrents on start. Permissions issue with .torrent files?

Post by parachuge »

I recently had to migrate Transmission and all of my thousands of torrents to a new Computer (running Linux Mint 20).
I didn't end up importing my .resume files and resume folder because it was having problems and instead let the new client run and verify every .torrent and create new .resume files.
Every time I start it has to check and verify every single torrent. Here's the thing though, this is not the case with newly added .torrent files.

I used

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R debian-transmission:debian-transmission /var/lib/transmission-daemon/.config/transmission-daemon/torrents
on all of the torrents imported from the old computer. The permissions on new files added appear to be the same so I'm confused as to what's triggering the old files to need constant re-verification. I've also tried giving all files 777 permissions and that also didn't solve it.

I should add as well that if I remove one of these older torrents from Transmission via Transmission Remote it shows back up when I reboot which contributes to my theory that it's somehow a permissions issue.
parachuge

Re: Transmission verrifies all torrents on start. Permissions issue with .torrent files?

Post by parachuge »

In case anyone else has this problem. I don't understand what exactly is going on. It may perhaps be related to filenames instead of permissions? The workaround I used was to import all my .torrent files via watch folder instead of straight into the info/torrents folder. Then it seems to "save" the state of the torrent better for whatever reason.

Note: I used

Code: Select all

"trash-original-torrent-files" : "true",
in settings.json and made sure Transmission had permissions on the watch folder. Otherwise I believe it may continue to re-add in the torrents even if you remove them within Transmission.

Additionally I believe all of my problems with the .resume files were related to this. If anyone else is migrating from one machine to the other. I recommend using the watch folder instead of copying the .torrent files directly from "info/torrents" to "info/torrents". If that works, great, if you're having crazy problems. Try using the watch folder to import.