Multiple instances of Transmission

Feature requests for the Windows version of Transmission
TorrentMaster59

Multiple instances of Transmission

Post by TorrentMaster59 »

It would be great if it were possible to run multiple instances of the windows versions of transmission.

If it's not currently possible, then I request it as a feature :D
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Multiple instances of Transmission

Post by mike.dld »

If anything, it needs to be more strict about running multiple instances. But anyway, if you want two independent instances (be it the Qt client or the daemon), run them with passing different configuration directories as command line arguments, e.g.

Code: Select all

transmission-qt -g c:\config1
transmission-qt -g c:\config2
Remember to set different ports if you're using port forwarding, and maybe some other stuff for them not to interfere with each other (like watch directories).
TorrentMaster59

mike.dld wrote:If anything, it needs to be more strict about running multiple instances. But anyway, if you want two independent instances (be it the Qt client or the daemon), run them with passing different configuration directories as command line arguments, e.g.

Code: Select all

transmission-qt -g c:\config1
transmission-qt -g c:\config2
Remember to set different ports if you're using port forwarding, and maybe some other stuff for them not to interfere with each other (like watch directories).
What do you mean by command line argument, do I just add "-g c:\config2" to the desktop shortcut and it will run a new instance based on that location?

Do you recommend running 2 instances of daemon or the Qt client?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

I'm not recommending running a particular program, you're free to choose on your own. The argument -g/--config-dir is the same for all flavors.

If you're using the Qt client then yes, you could create a new shortcut and add these arguments in its properties (changing "c:\config2" to whatever actual path on your system would be). When using the daemon, you'll have to register new service manually (using e.g. sc command) with command line containing needed arguments.
TorrentMaster59

mike.dld wrote:I'm not recommending running a particular program, you're free to choose on your own. The argument -g/--config-dir is the same for all flavors.

If you're using the Qt client then yes, you could create a new shortcut and add these arguments in its properties (changing "c:\config2" to whatever actual path on your system would be). When using the daemon, you'll have to register new service manually (using e.g. sc command) with command line containing needed arguments.
Can't seem to get it working. It just tries to launch one single instance at any one time. :?

I'm guessing the daemon method is the way to go, but that sounds way out of my ability.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

What version are you using?
TorrentMaster59

mike.dld wrote:What version are you using?
2.93 / latest nightly
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

The reason I initially wrote about being "more strict about running multiple instances" is I tried it myself and was able to start two instances without even passing -g. Not via a shortcut though, but just navigating to C:\Program Files\Transmission and double-clicking on transmission-qt.exe.

What is "it" that you're saying "tries to launch one single instance at any one time"? The only situation I know that leads to second Qt client instance activating first Qt client instance and then terminating is when you run that second instance with an argument pointing to .torrent file or URL; is that the case?
TorrentMaster59

mike.dld wrote:The reason I initially wrote about being "more strict about running multiple instances" is I tried it myself and was able to start two instances without even passing -g. Not via a shortcut though, but just navigating to C:\Program Files\Transmission and double-clicking on transmission-qt.exe.

What is "it" that you're saying "tries to launch one single instance at any one time"? The only situation I know that leads to second Qt client instance activating first Qt client instance and then terminating is when you run that second instance with an argument pointing to .torrent file or URL; is that the case?
Well it does seem to be trying to open a .torrent file upon launching it, but I don't remember pointing it to any torrent file...

So if I just copy the transmission directory it seems to run a brand new instance anyway, even without the -g or -f will it still function independently?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

Without -g, and if started under the same user account, both instances will use the same configuration directory.
racemus

Post by racemus »

Hi
What about macOS? I want to try transmission 4, but not all trackers allows it. I want to run 2 instances simultaniously.