Transmission 4 just won't open

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
justme

Transmission 4 just won't open

Post by justme »

Been using Transmission for many years. 3.0 been working fine all this time.

So 4.0 comes out. Notified in 3.0, new version, install? Sure.

This on Macbook Air 2019 model. Intel. OS, 13.3 now. But 4 hasn't worked on any version.

Launch either version 4.0, 4.0.1 4.0.2. Acts like it is opening, immediately closes/quits. Never opens. Bug report window comes up to report. I do. So I just reinstall v3 to get work done.

Any thoughts?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Transmission 4 just won't open

Post by mike.dld »

justme wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:49 pm Bug report window comes up to report. I do.
Sending reports to Apple (which is what I assume you're doing) makes little sense. If you want to report an issue, please do so at https://github.com/transmission/transmission/issues (but please search first to see if it was already reported).
justme

Post by justme »

So no useful knowledge on the question? Thanks for your reply.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

You didn't provide any information apart from something resembling "it doesn't work", and as I tried to hint before we don't have access to reports you send to Apple, so... If you don't want to open an issue on GitHub, at least attach the crash report here, otherwise your chances of getting help are close to zero.
justme

Post by justme »

"it doesn't work" - yea, gave the chip, OS, computer model, every version of Transmission doesn't open. Yup, send reports to Apple. If it is on their end, they will fix it years before Transmission even cares.

I'll stick with 3 of Transmission or maybe go with another torrent app. I guess Transmission 4… doesn't work on Mac any longer. I'll check GitHub to see if anyone has gotten Transmission 4… to open on any Mac.

Thanks.
darmok

Post by darmok »

Transmission 4 is working fine on Macs. Be sure to grab the latest, 4.0.2.

If you're not getting any farther than bouncing in the dock, try trashing Transmission's preferences and reboot.

...I've had various problems getting T4 to run on my Mac. One issue I've discovered is that once T4 crashes, the prefs may be corrupted, or some remainder is left-over in macOS that prevents T4 from running until I reboot.

hth,
- Dan.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

justme wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:58 pm Yup, send reports to Apple. If it is on their end, they will fix it years before Transmission even cares.
First of all, not constructive. I won't repeat the open-source mantra here, you should know better than blaming others for not fixing your issue.

Second, if it's not on Apple's end then you're the only one to blame here for not providing pertinent information that might lead to a fix and prolonging your suffering. Attaching a crash report (or reports, if they seem different to you) is an easy task, please help us and yourself to solve whatever issue you're having.
justme

Post by justme »

Not blaming anyone, asking insight. Transmission so far every version of 4 to 4.0.3 doesn't work or even open on the computer I gave all specs of, you know "pertinent information" What else info you want, how I take my coffee?
darmok

Post by darmok »

Open ~/Library/Preferences. Locate org.m0k.transmission.plist and drag it to your desktop.

then open ~/Library/Application Support/. Locate the Transmission folder and drag it to the desktop.

then launch Transmission 4.0.3. If it dies, and comes up with that crash dialog, please copy the text of the whole crash report and paste it here.